This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Timing Protection in Multifunctional and Safety-Related Automotive Control Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the ever increasing amount of available software processing resources in a vehicle, more and more high-level algorithms are emerging to improve the existing systems in a car. Often these algorithms only need a platform with a bus connection and some resources such as processing power and memory space. These functions are predestined to be integrated into existing systems that have free resources.
This paper will examine the role of time protection in these multi-algorithm systems and describe what timing protection means and why it is required. The processing time will be partitioned to the different processing levels like interrupts, services and tasks. The problems of timing protection will be illustrated as well as its limitations. The conflict between real-time requirements and timing protection will be shown. Finally Autosar will be examined with focus on timing protection and applicability in actual development projects.
CitationEberhard, D., Schneider, R., Grosshauser, F., and Brewerton, S., "Timing Protection in Multifunctional and Safety-Related Automotive Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0757, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0757.
- Encapsulation of Software-Modules of Safety-Critical Systems 2007 Eberhard, Grosshauser SAE# 2007-01-1485
- OSEK/VDX 2005 OSEK/VDX Operating System
- OSEK/VDX 2001 OSEK/VDX Time-triggered Operating System
- Website of AUTOSAR Consortium 2008 http://www.autosar.org
- AUTOSAR 2008 Specification of Operating System
- AUTOSAR 2008 Explanation of Interrupt Handling in AUTOSAR
- AUTOSAR 2008 Layered Software Architecture
- HIS 2002 Requirements for Protected Applications under OSEK http://www.automotive-his.de/download/HIS%20Protected%20OS.pdf
- HIS 2003 OSEK OS Extensions for Protected Applications http://www.automotive-his.de/download/HIS_ProtectedOSEK10.pdf
- 2006 Functional Safety Of Electrical/Electronic Programmable Electronic Safety Related Systems Part 3 Software Requirements
- Basic Single Microcontroller Monitoring Concept for Safety Critical Systems 2007 Schneider, Eberhard, Brewerton SAE#2007-01-1488
- Implementation of a Basic Single-Microcontroller Monitoring Concept for Safety Critical Systems on a Dual-Core Microcontroller 2007 Brewerton, Schneider, Eberhard SAE#2007-01-1486