This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heavy-Duty Diesel Combustion Optimization Using Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm and Multi-Dimensional Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A multi-objective genetic algorithm methodology was applied to a heavy-duty diesel engine at three different operating conditions of interest. Separate optimizations were performed over various fuel injection nozzle parameters, piston bowl geometries and swirl ratios (SR). Different beginning of injection (BOI) timings were considered in all optimizations. The objective of the optimizations was to find the best possible fuel economy, NOx, and soot emissions tradeoffs.
The input parameter ranges were determined using design of experiment methodology. A non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm II (NSGA II) was used for the optimization. For the optimization of piston bowl geometry, an automated grid generator was used for efficient mesh generation with variable geometry parameters. The KIVA3V release 2 code with improved ERC sub-models was used. The characteristic time combustion (CTC) model was employed to improve computational efficiency. Six individual optimizations were performed, with two of them performed for each of the three operating conditions (full load, mid-load, and low-load). The first set of three optimized BOI, spray angle, hole size, and the number of holes with fixed piston geometry. The second set optimized BOI, piston geometry, and swirl ratio with fixed fuel injector nozzle design. The optimizations were subject to design constraints including peak cylinder pressure and the temperature at exhaust valve opening. The sensitivity of engine performance to the design parameters of interest was evaluated using a response surface analysis method. The results show that significant reductions in engine-out emissions and fuel consumption can be achieved.
- Hai-Wen Ge - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Yu Shi - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Rolf D. Reitz - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- David D. Wickman - Wisconsin Engine Research Consultants, LLC
- Guangsheng Zhu - Detroit Diesel Corp.
- Houshun Zhang - Detroit Diesel Corp.
- Yury Kalish - Detroit Diesel Corp.
CitationGe, H., Shi, Y., Reitz, R., Wickman, D. et al., "Heavy-Duty Diesel Combustion Optimization Using Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm and Multi-Dimensional Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0716, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0716.
- Abraham J., Bracco F.V., Reitz R.D. (1985) Comparisons of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine Combustion. Combustion and Flame, Vol. 60, pp.309-322.
- Amsden A.A. (1993) KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block-Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries. Los Alamos National Laboratory Report No. LA-12503-MS.
- Arakawa M., Hagiwara I. (1998) Development of Adaptive Real Range (ARRange) Genetic Algorithms. JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 969-977.
- Ayoub N.S., Reitz R.D. (1995) Multidimensional Computation of Multicomponent Spray Vaporization and Combustion. SAE Paper 950285.
- Beale J.C., Reitz R.D. (1999) Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz/Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model. Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 9, pp.623-650.
- Bergin M.J., Hessel R.P., Reitz R.D. (2005) Optimization of a Large Diesel Engine via Spin Spray Combustion. SAE Paper 2005-01-0916.
- Bowman C.T. (1975) Kinetics of Pollutant Formation and Destruction in Combustion. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol.1, pp.33-45.
- Canakci M., Reitz R.D. (2003) Experimental Optimization of a DI-HCCI-Gasoline Engine Using Split Injections with Fully-Automated Micro-Genetic Algorithms. International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 47-60.
- Canakci M., Reitz R.D. (2004) Effect of Optimization Criteria on Direct-Injection Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine Performance and Emissions Using Fully Automated Experiments and Micro-genetic Algorithms. ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 126, No. 1, pp. 167-177.
- Coello Coello C.A., Van Veldhuizen D.A., Lamont G.B. (2002) Evolutionary Algorithms for Solving Multi-Objective Problems. Kluwer, pp. 10-11.
- De Risi A., Donateo T., Laforgia D. (2003) Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Direct Injection Diesel Engines. SAE Paper 2003-01-1064.
- Deb K. (2001) Multi-objective Optimization Using Evolutionary Algorithms. John Wiley & Sons.
- Deb K., Pratap A., Agarwal S, Meyarivan T. (2002) A Fast and Elitist Mulltiobjective Genetic Algorithm: NSGA-II. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 182-197.
- Fonseca C.M., Fleming P.L. (1993) Genetic Algorithms for Multiobjective Optimization: Formulation, Discussion and Generation. Proceeding of the Fifth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc, San Meteo, CA, pp. 416-423.
- Ge H.W., Reitz R.D., Willems W. (2008) Modeling the effects of in-cylinder flows on HSDI diesel engine performance and emissions. SAE Paper 2008-01-0649.
- Ge H.W., Shi Y., Reitz R.D., Wickman D.D., Willems W. (2009) Optimization of a HSDI Diesel Engine for Passenger Cars Using a Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm and Multi-Dimensional Modeling. SAE Paper 2009-01-0715.
- Genzale C.L., Reitz R.D., Wickman D.D. (2007) A Computational Investigation into the Effects of Spray Targeting, Bowl Geometry and Swirl Ratio for Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine. SAE Paper 2007-01-0119.
- Goldberg D.E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison-wesley, 1989.
- Halstead M., Kirsh L., Quinn C. (1977) The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High Temperatures and Pressures- Fitting of a Mathematical Model. Combustion and Flame, Vol. 30, pp: 45-60.
- Hamosfakidis V., Reitz R.D. (2003) Optimization of a Hydrocarbon Fuel Ignition Model, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 132 (3), pp. 433-450.
- Han Z.Y. and Reitz R.D. (1995) Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using RNG k-ε Models. Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 106, pp. 267-295.
- Han Z.Y., Reitz R.D. (1997) A Temperature Wall Function Formulation for Variable Density Turbulent Flows with Application to Engine Convective Heat Transfer Modeling. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 613-625.
- Hiroyasu G.J., Kodota T. (1976) Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in DI Diesel Engines. SAE Paper 760129.
- Kim M., Liechty M.P., Reitz R.D. (2005) Application of Micro-Genetic Algorithms for the Optimization of Injection Strategies in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine. SAE Paper 2005-01-0219.
- Kimura S., Aoki O., Kitahara Y., Ogawa H., Muranaka S., Enomoto Y. (1999) New Combustion Concept for Ultra-clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines. SAE Paper 1999-01-3681.
- Kimura S., Aoki O., Kitahara Y., Aiyoshizawa E. (2001) Ultra-Clean Combution Technology combining a Low-Temperature and premixed combustion concept for meeting future emission standards. SAE Paper 2001-01-0200.
- Kong S.-C., Han Z.Y., Reitz R.D. (1995) The Development and Application of a Diesel Ignition and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulations. SAE Paper 950278.
- Liu Y., Reitz R.D. (2005) Optimizing HSDI Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Multiple Injection Strategies. SAE paper 2005-01-0212.
- ModeFRONTIER™, http://www.esteco.com/
- Montgomery D.T., Reitz R.D. (1996) Six-Mode Cycle Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and Multiple Injections on Particulate and NOx Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine. SAE Paper 960316.
- Munnannur A., Kong S.-C., Reitz R.D. (2005) Performance Optimization of Diesel Engines with Variable Intake Valve Timing via Genetic Algorithms. SAE Paper 2005-01-0374.
- Nagle J., Strickland-Constable R.F. (1962) Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000°C. Proceeding of the Fifth Carbon Conference, Vol. 1, pp.265-325.
- Nevin R. M., Sun Y., Gonzalez M. A., and Reitz R. D. (2007) PCCI Investigation Using Variable Intake Valve Closing in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine. SAE Paper 2007-01-0903.
- Poloni C., Pediroda V. (1997) GA coupled with computationally expensive simulations: tools to improve efficiency. In: Genetic Algorithms and Evolution Strategies in Engineering and Computer Science. John Wiley & Sons.
- Poloni C., Pediroda V., Giurgevich A., Onesti L. (2000) Hybridization of a multi-objective genetic algorithm, a neural networks and a classical optimizer for complex design problem in fluid dynamics. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 186, pp. 403-420.
- Reitz R.D. (1987) Modeling Atomization Processes in High-Pressure Vaporization Sprays. Atomization and Spray Technology, Vol. 3, pp.309-337.
- Ricart L.M., Reitz R.D., Dec J.E. (2000) Comparisons of Predicted Diesel Spray Liquid Penetration and Vapor Fuel Distributions with In-Cylinder Optical Measurement. ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 122, pp. 588-595.
- Rutland C.J., Ayoub N., Han Z.Y., Hampson G., Kong S.-C., Mather D., Montgomery D., Musculus M., Patterson M, Pierpont D., Ricart L., Stephenson P., Reitz R.D. (1995) Diesel Engine Model Development and Experiments. SAE Paper 951200.
- Sasaki D., Obayashi S. (2005) Efficient Search for Trade-offs by Adaptive Range Multi-objective Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication, Vol. 2, Issue 1, pp. 44-64.
- Senecal P.K., Pomraning E., Richards K.J. (2002) Multi-mode Genetic Algorithm Optimization of Combustion Chamber Geometry for Low Emissions. SAE Paper 2002-01-0958.
- Shi Y., Reitz R.D. (2008a) Assessment of Optimization Methodologies to Study the Effects of Bowl Geometry, Spray Targeting and Swirl Ratio for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated at High Load. SAE Paper 2008-01-0949.
- Shi Y., Reitz R.D. (2008b) Optimization Study of the Effects of Bowl Geometry, Spray Targeting and Swirl Ratio for a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated at Low- and High-Load. International Journal of Engine Research, Vol.9, pp. 325-346.
- Shrivastava R., Hessel R.P., Reitz R.D. (2002) CFD Optimization of DI Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions using Variable Intake Valve Actuation with Boost Pressure, EGR and Multiple Injections. SAE Paper 2002-01-0959, SAE Transactions, Volume 111, Section 3, Journal of Engines, pp. 1612-1699.
- Srinivas N., Deb K. (1994) Multiobjective Optimization Using Nondominated Sorting in Genetic Algorithm. Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 221-248.
- Sun Y., Reitz R.D. (2006) Modeling Diesel Engine NOx and Soot Reduction with Optimized Two-Stage Combustion. SAE paper 2006-01-0027.
- Thiel M.P., Reitz R.D. (2002) Experimental Optimization of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Using Automated Genetic Algorithms. SAE Paper 2002-01-0960.
- Wickman D.D. (2003) HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber Geometry Optimization. PhD Dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Wickman D.D., Senecal P.K., Reitz R.D. (2001) Diesel Engine Combustion Chamber Geometry Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling. SAE Paper 2001-01-0547.
- Yun H., Reitz R.D. (2003) An Experimental Study on Emissions Optimization in a HSDI Diesel Engine Using Micro-Genetic Algorithms. SAE paper 2003-01-0347, SAE Transactions, Volume 112, Section 4, Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, pp. 477-487.
- Yun H., Reitz R.D. (2005) Combustion Optimization in the Low-temperature Diesel Combustion Regime. International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 513-524.