This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterizing the Development of Thermal Stratification in an HCCI Engine Using Planar-Imaging Thermometry
- Journal Article
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0650
ISSN: 1946-3936, e-ISSN: 1946-3944
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Dec, J. and Hwang, W., "Characterizing the Development of Thermal Stratification in an HCCI Engine Using Planar-Imaging Thermometry," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):421-438, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0650.
- Dec J. E., Hwang W., and Sjöberg M., (2006), “An Investigation of Thermal Stratification in HCCI Engines using Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Transactions, 115(3) pp. 759-776, paper 2006-01-1518.
- Sjöberg M., Dec J. E., and Cernansky N. P., (2005), “The Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments,” SAE Transactions, 114(3), pp. 236-251, paper 2005-01-0113.
- Hultqvist A., Christensen M., Johansson B., Richter M., Nygren J., Hult H., and Aldén M,. (2002), “The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle – High-Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging,” SAE Transactions, 111(3), pp. 913-927, paper 2002-01-0424.
- Sjöberg M,. and Dec J. E., (2005), “Effects of Engine Speed, Fueling Rate, and Combustion Phasing on the Thermal Stratification Required to Limit HCCI Knocking Intensity”, SAE Transactions, 114(3), pp. 1472-1486, paper 2005-01-2125.
- Einecke S., Schulz C, Sick V., Dreiuzler A., Schiessl R., and Maas U,. (1998), “Two-Dimensional Temperature Measurements in an SI Engine Using Two-Line Tracer LIF,” SAE Transactions 107(4), pp. 1061-1069, paper 982468.
- Fujikawa T., Fukui K., Hattori Y., and Akihama K., “2-D Temperature Measurements of Unburned Gas Mixture in an Engine by Two-line Excitation of LIF Technique,” SAE paper 2006-01-3336, 2006.
- Kakuho A., Nagamine M., Amenomori Y., Urushihara T., Itoh T,. (2006), “In-Cylinder Temperature Distribution Measurements and Its Application to HCCI Combustion,” SAE Transactions, 115(3), pp. 648-661, paper 2006-01-1202.
- Rothamer D. A., Snyder J. A., Hanson R. K., and Steeper R. R., (2008), “Two-Wavelength PLIF Diagnostic, for Temperature and Composition,” presented at the SAE World Congress, paper 2008-01-1067, SAE Int'l J. of Fuels and Lubricants, in press.
- Koban W., Koch J. D., Hanson R. K., and Schulz C,. (2004), “Absorption and Fluorescence of Toluene Vapor at Elevated Temperatures,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 6(11), pp. 2940-2945.
- Schulz C,. and Sick V,. (2005), “Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of Fuel Concentration, Temperature and Fuel/Air Ratio in Practical Combustion Systems,” Prog. Energy Comb. Sci., 31, pp 75-121.
- Dec J. E., and Sjöberg M,. (2003), “A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion – the Sources of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection,” SAE Transactions, 112(3), pp. 1119-1141, paper 2003-01-0752.
- Thurber M. C., Grisch F., Kirby B. J., Votsmeier M. and Hanson R. K., (1998), “Measurements and Modeling of Acetone Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Implications for Temperature-Imaging Diagnostics,” Applied Optics, 37(21), pp. 4963-4978.
- Hwang W., Dec J. E., and Sjöberg M,. (2007), “Fuel Stratification for Low-Load HCCI Combustion: Performance and Fuel-PLIF Measurements, SAE Transactions 116(3), pp. 1437-1460, paper 2007-01-4130.
- Sjöberg M,. and Dec J. E., “Combined Effects of Fuel-Type and Engine Speed on Intake Temperature Requirements and Completeness of Bulk-Gas Reactions in an HCCI Engine,” SAE Powertrain and Fluid Systems Conference, paper 2003-01-3173, 2003.
- Dec J. E., and Sjöberg M,. (2004), “Isolating the Effects of Fuel Chemistry on Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine and the Potential of Fuel Stratification for Ignition Control,” SAE Transactions, 113(4), pp. 239-257, paper 2004-01-0557.
- Sjöberg M,. and Dec J. E., (2004), “An Investigation of the Relationship between Measured Intake Temperature, BDC Temperature, and Combustion Phasing for Premixed and Dl HCCI Engines,” SAE Transactions, 113(3), pp. 1271-1286, paper 2004-01-1900.
- Sjöberg M., Dec J. E., Babajimopoulos A., and Assanis D,. (2004), “Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Heat-Release Rates,” SAE Transactions, 113(3), pp. 1557-1575, paper 2004-01-2994.
- Sjöberg M., Dec J. E., and Hwang W,. (2007), “Thermodynamic and Chemical Effects of EGR and Its Constituents on HCCI Autoignition,” SAE Transactions 116(3), pp. 271-289, paper 2007-01-0207.
- Sjöberg M. and Dec J.E., “Influence of Fuel Autoignition Reactivity on the High-Load Limits of HCCI Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):39-58, 2008.
- Sjöberg M,. and Dec J. E., (2007), “Comparing Late-cycle Autoignition Stability for Single- and Two-Stage Ignition Fuels in HCCI Engines”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31, pp. 2895-2902.
- Hwang W., Dec J. E., and Sjöberg M,. (2008), “Spectroscopic and Chemical-Kinetic Analysis of the Phases of HCCI Autoignition and Combustion for Single- and Two-Stage Ignition Fuels,” Combustion and Flame, 154(3), pp. 387-409.
- Hultqvist A., Engdar U., Johansson B., and Kling-mann J., (2001), “Reacting Boundary Layers in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine, SAE Transactions 110(3), pp. 1086-1098, paper 2001-01-1032.