This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Physical Boundary Conditions for the Layout of an Optimized Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the basic scientific analytical approach to identify the main physical parameters, which enable an optimization of several layouts for an Ethanol Cold Start (ECS) device. The main optimization criteria for the system layout are a single mixture preparation system for both cold start and hot engine handling, a short energy release time, a short start time and a possible high-precision ethanol metering system capability after start. The paper describes 3 suggested solutions. Two of the solutions are prototyped and tested on several vehicles. The paper concludes with a series of experimental data obtained on different flex engines with the new ECS-system variants. The obtained test results show good pure ethanol cold start capability for temperatures above 263 K and an excellent system temperature control of the fuel in the fuel-rail and in the injectors, which prevents the occurrence of any cavitations phenomenon. The excellent temperature control enables the use of the ECS-system during the warm up period for improvement of vehicle drivability and for reduction of the HC-emissions during the first part of the FTP-cycle.
CitationPontoppidan, M., Montanari, G., and Damasceno, F., "Analysis of the Physical Boundary Conditions for the Layout of an Optimized Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0618, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0618.
SI and CI Engine Cold Start and Transient Emissions and Control, 2009
Number: SP-2246; Published: 2009-04-20
Number: SP-2246; Published: 2009-04-20
- Amsden, A.A. O’Rourke, P.J Butler C.D. “KIVA II A Computer Program for Chemical Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Amsden, A.A. O’Rourke, P.J Butler C.D. “KIVA III: A KIVA Program with Block Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Labs.
- The European Requirement ”, Proceedings from Engine and Environment Graz September 1997
- Bergstroem K Melin S. A. Coleman J. “The New ECOTEC Turbo Bio-Power Engine from GM-Powertrain - Utilizing the Power of Nature’s resources.” Haus der Technik, Fachbuch Band 88–2007 221 257
- Cipolla, G. “Alternative Antriebe für Automobile” Haus der Technik, Fachbuch Band 88–2007 32 49
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.’’” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M Demaio A. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 – Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Ausiello F. Bella G. Demaio A “ Study of the Impact of Variations in the Diesel-Nozzle Geometry Parameters on the Layout of Multiple Injection Strategy.” SAE paper 2002-01-0217
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. ”Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines – Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?” SAE paper 2003-01-0540
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. ”Optimization by CFD simulation of Spray formation Parameters to adapt Direct Injection high-pressure Fuel injectors to high-speed SI-engines.” SAE paper 2004-01-0539
- Pontoppidan M. Bella G. Demaio A Rotondi R. “Parametric Study of Physical Requirements for Optimization of the EGR-rate and the Spray Formation for Minimum Emissions Production over a Broad Range of Load/Speed Conditions.” SAE paper 2006-01-1120
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Montanari G. “Presentation of the new third Generation “Green” injector Family, PICO-ECOlogical, developed for further Improvement of Flex-fuel Engine Performance.” SAE-Brazil paper 2007-01-2749
- Pontoppidan M. Damasceno F. “The integral Flex-Vehicle Mixture Control of Alcohol-based Bio-fuels – A new Challenge for Fuel-Atomizer Optimization.” SAE paper 2008-01-0437
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Montanari G. ” Analysis of the Capabilities of the new innovative Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device ECS.” SAE Brazil paper 2008-36-0080
- Vagaftik N. P. Vinog Y. K. ”Handbook of Physical Properties of Liquids and Gases” 1983
- Weast R. C. “Handbook of Chemistry and Physics” CRC Press Inc. 57th