This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bonding Strength Modeling of Polyurethane to Vulcanized Rubber
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tires manufactured from polyurethane (PU) have been espoused recently for reduced hysteretic loss, but the material provides poor traction or poor wear resistance in the application, requiring inclusion of a traditional vulcanized rubber tread at the contact surface. The tread can be attached by adhesive methods after the PU body is cured, or the PU can be directly cured to reception sites on the rubber chain molecules unoccupied by crosslinked (vulcanizing) sulfur atoms. This paper provides a study of the two bonding options, both as-manufactured and after dynamic loading representative of tire performance in service. Models of each process are introduced, and an experimental comparison of the bonding strength between each method is made. Results are applied to tire fatigue simulation.
|Technical Paper||Mechanism of Force Transmission Between Tire and Road|
|Technical Paper||Modeling Dynamic Stiffness of Rubber Isolators|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Slip in Performance of Rolling Element Bearings|
CitationTeppa, S. and Mears, L., "Bonding Strength Modeling of Polyurethane to Vulcanized Rubber," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0605, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0605.
- Maxxis. How a Tire is Made 2008 July 14 Available from: http://www.maxxis.com/services/how_a_tire_is_made.asp .
- Method for manufacturing a composite tire of polyurethane tread and radial carcase 2005 EP Patent 1, 529, 788
- Made, H.P.A. Polyurethane 2008 July 14 Available from: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Polyurethane.html .
- Corporation, A. Polyurethane Elastomer (Elastothane ™ ) Technology 2008 July 14 Available from: http://www.amerityre.com/index.cfm?action=technology
- Baldan, A. Adhesively-bonded joints and repairs in metallic alloys, polymers and composite materials Adhesives, adhesion theories and surface pretreatment 2004 Springer 1 49
- Eagar, T.W. Process of Joining Materials 2008 July 14 Available from: http://www.me.gatech.edu/jonathan.colton/me4210/joiningchapter.html .
- Handbook of Adhesion Second ed 2005 Packham. D.E. John Wiley & Sons Ltd
- International, ASTM Standard Test Method for Seal Strength of Flexible Barrier Materials 2005 ASTM International