This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HID vs. Tungsten Halogen Headlamps: Driver Preferences and Visibility Distance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today’s discussions about high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps are often reduced to a simple discussion about glare. Glare is an important aspect when talking about the performance of automotive headlamps. It is not completely understood today and more research has to be done. Nevertheless a more “global” view may be very useful to characterize the pros and cons of HID headlamp technology. This paper describes a direct comparison of latest serial production cars with both tungsten halogen (TH) and HID headlamps. The results of the performed driving tests in real traffic and visibility distance measurements show that HID headlamps provide many benefits regarding different aspects of traffic safety. Moreover the results illustrate that drivers clearly tend to prefer HID headlamps.
- Christoph Schiller - Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology
- Holger Sprute - Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology
- Andreas Groh - Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology
- Marvin Böll - Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology
- Tran Quoc Khanh - Technische Universität Darmstadt, Laboratory of Lighting Technology
CitationSchiller, C., Sprute, H., Groh, A., Böll, M. et al., "HID vs. Tungsten Halogen Headlamps: Driver Preferences and Visibility Distance," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0550, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0550.
- Schreuder, D. A. 1976 White or Yellow Lights for Vehicle Head-Lamps? Voorburg, The Netherlands Institute for Road Safety Research SWOV
- Flannagan, M. J. 1999 Subjective and Objective Aspects of Headlamp Glare: Effects of Size and Spectral Power Distribution University of Michigan
- Bullough, J. D. Fu, Z. Van Derlofske, J. Discomfort and Disability Glare from Halogen and HID Headlamp Systems SAE World Congress, 2002-01-0010 2002
- Schiller; C. Sprute, J. H. Haferkemper, N. Bodrogi, P. Khanh, T. Q. 2009 Discomfort Glare of Tungsten Halogen and High Intensity Discharge Headlamps ATZ worldwide Edition, 2009-02
- Sprute, J. H. Haferkemper, N. Schiller, C. Khanh, T. Q. 2009 Implications of Adaptive High Beam Headlighting Systems for Discomfort and Disability Glare SAE World Congress, 2009-01-0549, 2009
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Nighttime Glare and Driving Performance February 2007
- Schäbe, H. Schierge, F. 2007 Analysis about the influence of automotive lighting on nighttime accidents in Germany TÜV Rheinland Study Cologne September 2007 www.tuv.com