This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Validation of Hybrid III Crash Test Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various numerical models of anthropomorphic test device (ATD) have been developed over the last decade ranging from rigid body models to deformable models. Today, these models have become an integral part of development and optimization of vehicle restraints. The objective of this work is to further advance transportation safety by providing easy access to robust finite element (FE) dummy models to researchers worldwide. To this end, the National Crash Analysis Centre (NCAC) is developing a suite of highly detailed public domain FE models of the crash test dummies. This paper presents the modeling and validation status of the most commonly used crash test dummy in regulatory and consumer metric testing, the Hybrid III 50th percentile crash test dummy. Systematic modeling and validation procedures are established and adopted to ensure the accuracy, efficiency, robustness, and ease of use of the models. The procedures are based on the premise that the model must be based on the fundamentals of mechanics, focusing directly on component geometry and material mechanical properties. The model is created and validated at the component level. It will then be integrated and re-evaluated at the system level.
|Technical Paper||Part 572 and Hybrid III Dummy Comparison Sled Test Simulations|
|Technical Paper||A Study of Model Validation Method for Dynamic Systems|
|Special Publication||Modeling, Testing and Design of Materials for Dummies and Structures for Crash Safety Applications|
CitationMohan, P., Marzougui, D., and Kan, C., "Development and Validation of Hybrid III Crash Test Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0473, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0473.
- Backaitits, S. H. Mertz, H.J. “Hybrid III: The First Human-Like Crash Test Dummy” 49 55 SAE PT-44 Warrendale PA 150906
- Mohan, Pradeep Marzougui, Dhafer van de Velde, Roel Kan, Steve “Development of Detailed Finite Element Dummy Models” 6 th LS-DYNA Forum Frankenthal, Germany 2007
- Hallquist, J.O. “LS-DYNA Users Manual: Version 971,” Livermore Software Technology Corporation Livermore, California
- Hallquist, J.O. “LS-DYNA Theoretical Manual,” Livermore Software Technology Corporation Livermore, California
- Product Validation Report First Technology Safety Systems June 2007
- Khalil T B Lin, T C “Simulation of the Hybrid III Dummy Response to Impact By Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis” SAE Paper No 942227