This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trend of Rear Occupant Protection in Frontal Crashes over Model Years of Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The National Automotive Sampling System’s Crashworthiness Data System (NASS CDS) was used to study rear occupant injuries in frontal crashes. The risks of injury for the rear passengers of different age groups were calculated and compared to the risks of injury for the front occupants. Furthermore, the risks of injury were investigated for the rear and front adult occupants over model years of vehicles. Distribution of injuries among body regions and vehicle contact points were also investigated for the rear adult occupants. While the rear occupants were more protected than the front occupants in most of the groups studied, an increasing trend was observed in the risk of injury of the rear adult occupants over the model years of the vehicles.
CitationEsfahani, E. and Digges, K., "Trend of Rear Occupant Protection in Frontal Crashes over Model Years of Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0377, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0377.
- Evans, L. Frick, M. 1988 Seating position in cars and fatality risk American Journal of Public Health 78 11 1456 1458
- Smith K. M. Cummings P. 2004 Passenger seating position and the risk of passenger death or injury in traffic crashes Accid. Anal. and Prev. 36 257 260
- Kuppa Sh. Saunders J. Fessahaie O. Rear seat occupant protection in frontal crashes 19th ESV Washington D.C 2005
- Smith K M Cummings P. 2006 Passenger seating position and the risk of passenger death in traffic crashes: a matched cohort study Injury Prevention 12 83 86
- Kent, R. Forman, J. Parent, D. P. Kuppa, S. 2007 The feasibility and effectiveness of belt pretentioning and load limiting for adults in the rear seat Int. J. Vehicle Safety 2 No. 4 378 403
- Mizuno K. Ikari T. Tomita K. Matsui Y. Effectiveness Of Seat Belt For Rear Seat Occupants In frontal crashes 20th ESV Lyon, France 2007
- Hong S. W. Park C. K. Morgan R. M. Kan C. D. Park Sh. Bae H. A study of the rear seat occupant safety using a 10 year old child dummy in the new car assessment program SAE world congress, No. 2008-01-0511 2008
- Tylko S. Dalmotas D. Protection of Rear Seat Occupants in Frontal Crashes 19 th ESV, Washington D.C., paper 05-258 2005
- Viano D. Parenteau Ch. Fatalities by Seating Position and Principal Direction of Force for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Row Occupants SAE world congress, No. 2008-01-1850 2008
- NHTSA, Child Passenger Safety (CPS) accessed via http://www.nhtsa.gov/
- Swanson J. Rockwell T. Beuse N. Summers S. Summers S. Park B. Evaluation of Stiffness Measures From the U.S. New Car Assessment Program 18 th ESV, Japan, paper 527 2003