This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method for Obtaining Optimum Fuel Economy Performance using Transient Combustion Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experiment was conducted testing a powertrain package consisting of a four cylinder four valve engine coupled to a four speed automatic transmission in a dynamometer test cell. Cylinder pressure transducers, an encoder, and other instrumentation were used to measure transient combustion events. The transient cycle chosen for testing was a Cold 80 of the Federal Test Procedure (FTP) that produces a standardized fuel economy value. After analyzing the combustion events, a determination was made between the spark advance delivered and a revised spark advance for optimum combustion efficiency. Based upon the relationship between spark advance and fuel consumption, a prediction for the improved fuel consumption was made. The testing was then repeated to evaluate the revised spark advance and the fuel economy benefits in comparison to the predicted values.
CitationSoltis, D. and Hollenbeck, D., "A Method for Obtaining Optimum Fuel Economy Performance using Transient Combustion Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0243, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0243.
- Sellnau, Mark C. Matekunas, Frederic A. Battiston, Paul A. Chang, Chen-Fang Lancaster, David R. “Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Using Pressure Ratio Management and Low Cost Non Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors,” 2000-01-0932 , SAE Warrendale, PA 2000
- Yoon, Paljoo Park, Seungbum Sunwoo, Myoungho Ohm, Inyong Yoon, K.J. “Closed Loop Control of Spark Advance and Air Fuel Ratio in SI Engines Using Cylinder Pressure,” 2000-01-0933 , SAE Warrendale, PA 2000
- Zhu, Guoming G. Daniels, Chao F. Winkelman, James „MBT Timing Detection and its Closed-Loop Control Using In-Cylinder Pressure Signal,” 2003-01-3266 , SAE Warrendale, PA 2003
- Steiner, DI Georg “In Vehicle Combustion Measurement for Emission, Performance and Driveability Improvement,” 2005-01-1048 , SAE Warrendale, PA 2005
- Trella, Thomas “Spark Ignition Engine Fuel Economy Control Optimization-Techniques and Procedures,” 790179 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1979
- Keller, Sherree L. Trabold, William G. Stevens, James E. “An Evaluation of Transient System Optimization Used for Spark Calibration Over the FTP Urban Schedule,” 840472 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1984
- Taylor, C.F. The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice . 1 Thermodynamics, Fluid Flow, Performance 2nd The M.I.T. Press 1986
- Hallgren, B.E. Impact of Retarded Spark Timing on Engine Combustion, Hydrocarbon Emissions, and Fast Catalyst Lightoff 2004
- Patterson. J.D. Henein, N.A. Emissions from Combustion Engines and Their Control 1st Ann Arbor Science Publishers, Inc. 1972
- Umloff, J. Chrysler LLC internal document 2002
- Cook, Harvey A. Heinicke, Orville Hayne, H., William H. “Spark Timing Control Based on Correlation of Maximum-Economy Spark Timing, Flame-front Travel, and Cylinder-Pressure Rise,” National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics 1947
- Klimstra, Jacob “The Optimum Combustion Phasing Angle-A Convenient Engine Tuning Criterion,” 852090 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1985
- Eriksson, Lars “Spark Advance for Optimal Efficiency,” 1999-01-0548 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1999
- Fujii, Isao Yagi, Sizuo Kawai, Makoto Yoshikawa, Haruhiko “MBT Control Utilizing Crank Angle of Maximum Combustion Pressure,” 890759 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1989
- Hubbard, M. Dobson, P.D. Powell, J.D. “Closed loop control of spark advance using a cylinder pressure sensor,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 414 420 1976
- Randolph, Andrew L. “Cylinder Pressure Transducer Mounting Techniques to Maximize Data Accuracy” 900171 , SAE Warrendale, PA 1990