This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Control Strategies of an Electro Hydraulic Valve Actuation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) gives fully programmable variable lift and event duration of the gas exchange valves. Thus the controllability and performance of the gas exchange process in diesel engines can be improved within a range of various load conditions. The dynamic and steady state behavior of the electrohydraulic system can be tuned by selecting the suitable controller.
The aim of this study is to compare different control strategies of an electro hydraulic valve actuation system of a middle speed diesel engine.
The studied controllers are P- and State Feedback controller. The State Feedback controller is used with or without the velocity and acceleration feedforward loops.
The research results are represented through simulations and experimental tests. The operation time range, lifts, and seating velocities etc are shown in the paper.
CitationHerranen, M., Virvalo, T., Huhtala, K., Vilenius, M. et al., "Comparison of Control Strategies of an Electro Hydraulic Valve Actuation System," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0230, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0230.
- Sun, Zongxuan He., Xin ”Development and Control of Electro-hydraulic Fully Flexible Valve Actuation System for Diesel Combustion Research” SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-01-4021 2007
- Tai, Chun Tsao, Tsu-Chin Levin., Michael B. ”Adaptive Nonlinear Feedforward Control of an Electrohydraulic Camless Valvetrain” Proceedings of the American Control Conference Chigago, Illinois 2000
- Hanks, Thomas C. Lumkes John H. Jr. “Adaptive Control System fo Electrohydraulic Camless Engine Gas Valve Actuator” American Control Conference Portland, OR 2005
- Herranen, Mika Huhtala, Kalevi Vilenius, Matti Liljenfeldt., Gösta “The Electro-Hydraulic Valve Actuation (EHVA) for Medium Speed Diesel Engines – Development Steps with Simulations and Measurements” SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-1-1289 2007
- Operation Manual www.parker.com
- Karjalainen, J-P. Karjalainen, R. Huhtala, K. Vilenius, M. “High-pressure properties of hydraulic fluids – measuring and differences” Power Transmission and Motion Control 2006 University of Bath UK
- Jelali, Mohieddine Kroll., Andreas “Hydraulic Servo systems. Modelling, Identification and Control” Springer-Verlag London Limited 2003 nd