This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Estimation of Suspension Components using Statistical Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Depending on the scatter of material properties, geometrical shapes and load conditions, the fatigue life of mechanical components has wide range of scatter although they were tested under same conditions. This scatter is the main reason of different results between observed and predicted fatigue life. This study shows how to estimate the fatigue life distribution by analysis. Dominant factors for fatigue life distributions and their scatter could be obtained by comparing the analysis results and fatigue test results. Applying the scatter of these factors to fatigue analysis, it was possible to predict fatigue life distributions. This will improve the reliability of fatigue life estimation, therefore a more robust and reliable component design is possible.
CitationYoo, Y., Yoo, Y., and Jeon, J., "Fatigue Life Estimation of Suspension Components using Statistical Method," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0080, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0080.
- Blackmore A.P.,Statistical Variability in Strain-Life Materials Data, presented at SAE World Congress,2005-01-1394, 2005
- Conle, F. A. Accounting for Scatter in Strain-Life Fatigue Testing, , presented at SAE World Congress,2002-01-1279, 2002
- SchijveJ.2003. Fatigue of structures and materials in the 20th century and the state of the art, International Journal of Fatigue 25, pp.679-702, 2003
- Bannantine, J. A. Comer J. J.and Handrock, J. L. Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis, Prentice Hall, 1989
- Jakubczak H.and Glinka, G. Fatigue and Reliability of Welded Structure, presented at SAE World Congress, 2007-01-1657, 2007
- Luko, S. N. A Review of the Weibull Distribution and Selected Engineering Applications, , presented at SAE World Congress,1999-01-2859, 1999
- Liu, Y. Stratman, B. Liu L.and Mahadevan, S. Probabilistic Fatigue Life Prediction and Inspection of Railroad Wheels, , presented at SAE World Congress,2007-01-1658, 2007
- Park, T. Choi, C. Won J.and Choi, J. A Study on the Reliability Analysis Accounting for Scatter of Fatigue Test Data, presented at KSAE Congress, KSAE07-S0224, 2007
- Bucar T.,Nagoda M. and Fajdiga M. 2006, A Neutral Network Approach to Describing the Scatter of S-N curves, International Journal of Fatigue 28, pp. 311-323, 2006
- Fermer M. and Svensson H. 2001, Industrial Experience of FE-based Fatigue Life Predictions of Welded Automotive Structures, Fatigue Frac Engng Mater Struct 24, 24pp. 489-500, 2001