This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a vibroacoustic system for non-destructive test in aerospace structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 30, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present work describes an alternative way (to ultrasound) to check the existence of superficial flaws in sandwich panels used in the aerospace industry, based in a technique inspired in the well known "tap test". In this case, however, a non-impulsive excitation is provided by a especial transducer and the acoustic response is captured with a microphone. Correlation and Deconvolution techniques are used in order to assess the system's vibroacoustic impulse response and generate a "failure" map after post-processing the results. Results and aspects in regard to its implementation and automation are described in the paper.
- Márcio Henrique de Avelar Gomes - Eco Acustica – Vibrações e Acústica Ltda. ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Paulo Roberto de Oliveira Bonifácio - Centra Federal de Educação Tecnológica – CEFET – Joinville, S.C
- Caio Merlini Giuliani - Eco Acustica - Vibrações e Acústica Ltda
- Franciso Manoel Correa Dias - CENIC Engenharia Indústria e Comércio Ltda
- José Ilton Gomes - CENIC Engenharia Indústria e Comércio Ltda
Citationde Avelar Gomes, M., de Oliveira Bonifácio, P., Giuliani, C., Dias, F. et al., "Development of a vibroacoustic system for non-destructive test in aerospace structures," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0557, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0557.
- Kollgmrd, J., Georgeson, G, A Low-Cost Digital Tap Tester for Inspection of Composites, In: Proceedings of Composites '97 Manufacturing And Tooling conference, January 20-22, Anaheim, California, 1997.
- Pfund, B., Portable test hammer apparatus, U.S. Patent 5686652, 1997.
- ISO 532/R, Acoustics - Method for Calculating Loudness Level, 1975.
- Blommer M., Otto N., Wakefield G., et.al, Calculating the Loudness of Impulsive Sounds, SAE Transactions v.1046, Pt2, p. 2302-2308, 1996.
- Zwicker, E., Fastl, H., Psychoacoustics: Facts and Models, Springer, 1990.
- Mueller, S., Massarani, P., Transfer-Function Measurement with Sweeps, J. Audio Engineering Society, p. 443-471, June, 2001.