This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Topologic Optimization Applied to an Auxiliary Organs Bracket of an Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The need of mass reduction of automotive engines, aiming at greater performance of the vehicle and cost reductions, demands the research for optimized forms of all its components. The mass minimization of all parts of the engine is not limited only to the optimization of the mechanical project of the part in itself. A part with less weight or volume, saves used material, makes it possible to increase the part production, it facilitates transportation, and, therefore, allows reducing the final cost of the part throughout all its productive chain. In this work the method of Topological Optimization (TO) was applied to project a new geometry, using cast iron, for the alternator and air conditioner compressor bracket of an automotive engine, originally in aluminum. Two geometries had been proposed: one where it is considered manufacture process and another one where it is not considered. The last one was used as step for the optimization of final geometry. Through the topological optimization it was possible to design a significantly cheaper automotive bracket in cast iron with similar mass comparing to original aluminum alloy bracket in use, which reaches the same project requirements.
CitationBarbosa, R., Sampaio, T., Rodrigues, E., and de Freitas Pinto, R., "Topologic Optimization Applied to an Auxiliary Organs Bracket of an Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0371, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0371.
- SCHRAMM, U., ZHOU, M., TANG, P., HARTE, C. G., Topology layout of Structural Designs and Buckling. Irvine, Altair Engineering, Inc. 2005.
- LEAL, V., CARDOSO, V. M., ZAMBELLI, L., CARNEIRO, G., BITENCOURT, R. Shape And Topologic Optimization Of Engine Mounts. São Paulo: SAE Technical, Paper 2006-01-2665.
- BENDSOE, M. P., Optimization of Structural Topology, Shape and Materia, Springer-Verlag, 1ed, New York, 1995.
- BENDSOE, M. P., Kikuchi, N., Generating Optimal Topologies in Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 71, pp. 197-224, 1988.
- NISHIWAKI, S., MIN, S., YOO, J., KIKUCHI, N., Optimal Structural Design Considering Flexibility, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, p190, 2001.