This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Temperature Starting on a Pure Ethanol Fuelled Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the current study cold start tests have been performed on a multi-cylinder, spray guided direct injection, spark ignition engine. The direct injection system was a centrally mounted dual fluid type injecting fuel and air simultaneously. The engine has been started on ethanol at soaked temperatures from +25°C through to -10°C. Development of engine hardware, software and calibration was undertaken to optimise cold start times, whilst quality metrics were used to evaluate the performance of the starts. Consideration has been taken to restrict hardware options to production viable components. Conclusions are drawn regarding the start performance of an E100 spray guide DI engine at low temperatures.
CitationUtley, T., Brewster, S., Tilmouth, A., Jin, S. et al., "Low Temperature Starting on a Pure Ethanol Fuelled Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0270, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0270.
- Siewert Robert M. and Groff Edward G, “Unassisted Cold Starts to -29°C and Steady-State Tests of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge (DISC) Engine Operated on Neat Alcohols”, International Fuel and Lubricants, Toronto Ontario, November 2 - 5, 1987, SAE Technical Paper Series 872066
- Jorgensen Scott W., “Compression Temperatures in a Cold Cranking Engine”, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, February 29 - March 4, 1988, SAE Technical Paper Series 880045
- Dasch Cameron J. and Brinkman Norman D., “Cold Starts Using M-85 (85% Methanol): Coping with Low Volatility and Spark Plug Wetting”, International Congress and Exposition, February 25 - March 1, 1991, SAE Technical Paper Series 910865
- Brewster, S., 2007, “Initial Development of a Turbo-charged Direct Injection E100 Combustion System”, 14th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference, August 5-8 2007, Society of Automotive Engineers
- Kapus, P.E., Fuerhapter, A., Fuchs, H. & Fraidl, G., 2007, “Ethanol Direct Injection on Turbocharged SI Engines - Potential and Challenges”, SAE paper no. 2007-01-1408
- Jin, S.H., Brear, M.J., Watson, H.C. and Brewster, S., 2008, “An experimental study of the spray from an air-assisted, direct fuel injector”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, in press