This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Optimization of a Space frame Chassis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work is a contribution to the development of a 3-D space frame vehicle structure design and numerical optimization applied to a high performance roadster vehicle. , for this type of vehicle, a chassis must be as rigid and lightweight as possible in order to fulfill drivability (the degree of smoothness and steadiness of acceleration of an automotive vehicle) and maneuverability (the quality of being capable of maneuvering or changing position) requirements. Some difficulties in obtaining the optimum design by using analytical formulation are encountered, because this real structure is a complex geometry one.
In this work a chassis design methodology that integrates a set of nature-inspired optimization tools developed under MATLAB® and finite element analysis using the commercial software ANSYS® is presented. Numerical results are reported, illustrating the success of using the presented methodology, as applied to the design optimization of a space frame vehicular structure.
|Technical Paper||A Deformable Chassis Model|
|Technical Paper||Topology Optimization of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Frame Using Multi-Loading Cases Optimization|
|Technical Paper||Optimization Methods Applied to Determine Clamping Forces in Fixture Design|
Citationde Oliveira, F. and Borges, J., "Design and Optimization of a Space frame Chassis," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0253, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0253.
- Happian, J.S. 2002 “An Introduction to Modern Vehicle Design” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Reed Educational and Professional Publishing
- Thompson, L.L. Raju, S. Law, E.H. 1998 “Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness” SAE Technical Paper Series No. 983053 Motorsports Engineering Conference Proceedings 1 Vehicle Design and Safety Dearborn, Michigan, USA
- Aird, F. 1997 “Race Car Chassis Design and Construction” MBI Publishing Company 128
- Baker, C.S. 2004 “FoES Formula SAE-A Space Frame Chassis Design” University of Southern Queensland, Faculty of Engineering & Surveying Southern Queensland 101
- Adams, H. 1993 “Chassis Engineering: Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling” Hp Books 133
- Venter, G. Sobieski, J. S. 2002 “Particle Swarm Optimization” Proceedings of the 43rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference Denver, CO, USA
- Dorigo, M. 1992 “Optimization, Learning and Natural Algorithms” Politecnico di Milano Italy
- Dorigo, M. Maniezzo, V. Colorni, A. 1996 “The Ant System: Optimization by a Colony of Cooperating Agents” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics-Part B 26 1 1 13
- Di Caro, G. Dorigo, M. 1998 “AntNet: Distributed Stigmergic Control for Communication Networks” Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 9 317 365
- Pourtakdoust, S. H. Nobahari, H. 2004 “An Extension of Ant Colony System to Continuous Optimization Problems” Proceedings in ANTS 2004, Fourth International Workshop on Ant Colony Optimization and Swarm Intelligence Brussels, Belgium
- Michalewicz, Z. Fogel, D. B. 2000 “How to Solve it: Modern Heuristics” Springer-Verlag 1st Inc.York New York, USA
- Haupt, R. L. Haupt, S. E. 2004 “Pratical Genetic Algorithms” Wiley-Interscience Publication 2nd New York, USA
- Kennedy, J. Eberhart, R. C. 1995 “Particle Swarm Optimization” Proceedings of the 1995 IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks Perth, Australia 1942 1948
- Marler, R. T. Arora, J. S. 2004 “Survey of Multi-Objective Optimization Methods for Engineering” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 26 369 395
- Michalewicz, Z. 1995 “Genetic Algorithms, Numerical Optimization and Constraints” Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms Pittsburgh 151 158
- Coello, C.A.C. 2002 “Theoretical and Numerical Constraint-Handling Techniques used in Evolutionary Algorithms: a Survey of the State of the Art” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 191 11-12 1245 1287