This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Volumetric Efficiency and Air-Fuel Ratio Analysis For Flex Fuel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Stringent vehicle emissions limits, fuel economy and driveability requirements demand an accurate air-fuel ratio management system. A flex fuel (ethanol capable) engine system without an ethanol sensor requires a precisely tuned air fuel ratio control system. In flex fuel systems without an ethanol sensor, the ethanol content is estimated based on the closed loop adaptation values, therefore; it is important to have a very good open loop estimate of cylinder trapped air and consumed fuel since an error in either of these values will cause a shift in the closed loop adaptation values and ultimately, in the estimated fuel ethanol content. This paper analyzes the effect of volumetric efficiency and stoichiometric air-fuel ratio variation of OTTO port fuel injection (PFI) engines when operating on ethanol. Proposals for correction of these parameters are compared to experimental data.
CitationEngler-Pinto, C. and de Nadai, L., "Volumetric Efficiency and Air-Fuel Ratio Analysis For Flex Fuel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0223, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0223.
- Vicentini, P. C. Kronberg, S. “Rating The Performance of Brazilian Flex Fuel Vehicles” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-2206 2005
- Theunissen, F. “Percent Ethanol Estimation on Sensorless Multi-Fuel Systems; Advantages and Limitations” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-3562 2003
- Nakata, K. Utsumi, S. Ota, A. Kawatake, K. Kawai, T. Tsunooka, T. “The Effect of Ethanol Fuel on a Spart Ignition Engine” SAE Paper No. 2006-01-3380 2006
- Wyszynski, L. P. Stone, R. Kalghatgi, G. T. “The Volumetric Efficiency of Direct and Port Injection Gasoline Engines with Different Fuels” SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0839 2003
- Marriot, C. D. Wiles, M. A. Gwidt, J. M. Parrish, S. E. “Development of a Naturally Aspirated Spark Ignition Direct-Injection Flex-Fuel Engine” SAE Paper No. 2008-01-0319 2008
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988