This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Opportunities for Brazilian OBD in the Context of I/M
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a comprehensive overview of Brazilian On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations, Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Programs and Aftermarket Catalyst regulations as well as an overview of similar regulations in the United States and Europe. Opportunities and technical risks are described in this context.
Regulatory information contained in this Paper is intended to serve as reference only. Updated and complete rules and regulations must be used for official purposes.
The implementation of the second stage of Brazilian OBD (OBDBr-2), starting in 2010, represents a significant improvement towards exhaust emission control and on-board diagnostic monitoring. Its effectiveness and credibility will be heavily influenced by how this new technology is integrated into I/M programs and how well it meshes with aftermarket catalyst regulations. Currently, Brazilian I/M regulations do not incorporate any OBD requirements and only Rio de Janeiro State has implemented an I/M Program. In the absence of an effective I/M program, emission controls tampering can go undetected (e.g. aftermarket catalysts with no ceramic substrate inside).
Having OBD checks integrated into an I/M program is an important factor that should be considered in the next stages of Brazilian emission control programs. The US EPA completely replaced traditional tailpipe exhaust tests with OBD checks. EPA experience, however, has shown that it takes a long time to roll out a credible I/M regulation because its credibility strongly depends on the correlation between OBD checks and I/M tailpipe exhaust tests.
Finally, it should be pointed out that to work effectively in an I/M program, OBD requirements need to consider the vehicle population as a whole and include spark-ignition and compression-ignition engines, aftermarket catalysts as well as various evaporative and exhaust emission controls.
|Technical Paper||The Vapipe-A Practical System for Producing Homogeneous Gasoline-Air Mixtures|
|Collection||Diesel Exhaust Emission Control, 2010|
|Collection||Diesel Exhaust Emission Control, 2011|
CitationAlves, M., Baltusis, P., and Burgos, E., "Opportunities for Brazilian OBD in the Context of I/M," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0168, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0168.
- Rovai, F. et al., “Blow-by Vapor Impact on Flexible Fuel Applications”, Proceedings of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2008 Spring Technical Conference, ICES2008-1698, Apr 2008
- Branco, G., “Benefícios Ambientais da Inspeção e Manutenção de Veículos em Uso: Gestão da Qualidade do Ar: Benefícios para a Saúde Pública e Mudanças Climáticas”, http://www.epa.gov/ies/pdf/brazil/bra_branco.pdf, Jul 2004
- EPA, “Amendments to Vehicle Inspection Maintenance Program Requirements Incorporating the Onboard Diagnostic Check”, http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-AIR/2001/April/Day-05/a8276.htm, EPA, Apr 2001
- EPA, Full 1992 I/M Regulations, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/imregs92.pdf, EPA, Jul 1996
- Sosnowski, D. and Gardetto, E., “Performing On-Board Diagnostic System Checks as Part of a Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Program”, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/r01015.pdf, EPA, Jun 2001
- Hardigan, P. et al., “An Overview of Inspection And Maintenance Programs in The United States”, Ford Motor Company, Oct 2001
- Baltusis, P., “On Board Vehicle Diagnostics”, SAE Paper 2004-21-0009, 2004
- “OBD Policy Workgroup, Findings and Recommendations”, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/3-15-03_workgroup_findings.pdf, EPA, Nov, 2002
- “Brazilian Automotive Industry Yearbook 2008”, ANFAVEA, 2008 http://www.anfavea.com.br/anuario.html
- Borges, M. et al, “Programa de Análise de Produtos: Relatório sobre Análise em Conversor Catalítico”, http://www.inmetro.gov.br/consumidor/produtos/conversor.pdf, INMETRO, Aug 2007
- Trimble, T., “Analyses of the OBD II Data Collected from the Wisconsin I/M Lanes”, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/r00014.pdf, EPA, Aug 2000
- Trimble, T. and Gardetto, E., “Evaluation of On-Board Diagnostics for Use in Detecting Malfunctioning and High Emitting Vehicles”, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/r00013.pdf, EPA, Aug 2000
- EPA, “Inspection Maintenance Program Requirements Incorporating the Onboard Diagnostic Check: Response to Comments”, http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/im/obd/r01003.pdf, EPA, Jan 2001
- “Programa de Inspeção e Manutenção de Veículos em Uso - I/M”, http://www.feema.rj.gov.br/programa-im.asp, FEEMA, Rio de Janeiro