This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SEA modeling and experimental validation of structure-borne noise paths in an aircraft fuselage
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) is the standard method used to access noise and vibration levels in aircrafts and it has been applied to a wide range of problems in the aerospace industry. Even though much research has been carried on in the subject, some questions still remain about the process of modeling aircraft structures and the necessary validation steps. In this work, the development of a SEA model of a fuselage section is discussed. Special attention is given to the structure-borne noise transmission between the fuselage and floor panels and different modeling approaches are investigated. Data obtained through experimental tests were then used to verify the modeling approaches. It is seen that overall SEA results display a good agreement with tests. In the case of the floor panel, model results are very sensitive to modeling approaches and given that the transmission path is correctly represented, the SEA results reasonably match the experimental data.
- Julio A. Cordioli - Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC).
- Francisco Klug - Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC).
- Samir N. Y. Gerges - Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC).
- Marcelo Santos - Empresa Brasileira de Aeronáutica S.A (EMBRAER).
- Rafael de Mello - Empresa Brasileira de Aeronáutica S.A (EMBRAER).
CitationCordioli, J., Klug, F., Gerges, S., Santos, M. et al., "SEA modeling and experimental validation of structure-borne noise paths in an aircraft fuselage," SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0066, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0066.
- Woodhouse J. “An introduction to statistical energy analysis of structural vibration Applied Acoustics 14 455 469 1981
- Fahy F. “Statistical Energy Analysis: A guide for potential users.” SEANET
- Davis E. B. “By Air by SEA” Proceedings of NOISE-CON 2004 Baltimore - USA 2004
- Davis E. B. “SEA modelling of commercial airplanes” Proceedings of the Second International AutoSEA Users Conference Detroit - USA 2002
- Dandaroy I. Hartley D. Hund R. “Interior noise prediction of Hawker Horizon aircraft using Statistical Energy Analysis” Proceedings of NOISE-CON 2004 Baltimore - USA 2004
- Collins L. Rennison D. “ERJ-170 aircraft interior noise analysis” Vasci Technical Report R0001-01 2000
- VA One 2006 - User's Guide ESI Group Nov. 2006
- Shorter P. J. Langley R. S. “On the reciprocity relationship between direct field radiation and diffuse reverberant loading.” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 117 1 85 95 2005
- Shorter P. J. Langley R. S. “Vibro-acoustic analysis of complex systems” Journal of Sound and Vibration 288 3) 669 699 2005
- Mace B. R. “On the statistical energy analysis hypotheses of coupling power proportionality and some implications of its failure” Journal of Sound and Vibration 178 1 95 112 1994
- Langley R. S. “A derivation of the coupling loss factor used in statistical energy analysis” Journal of Sound and Vibration 141 2 207 219 1990
- Keane A. J. Price W. G. “Statistical energy analysis of strongly coupled systems” Journal of Sound and Vibration 117 363 386 1987
- De Langhe K. “High frequency vibrations: Contribution to experimental and computational SEA parameter identification techniques” Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Leuven, Belgium 1996
- Cimerman B. Bharj T. Borello G. “Overview of the experimental approach to Statistical Energy Analysis” SAE Technical Paper 97NV169 1997
- Hermans L. Iadevaia M. “Guidelines on the use of the experimental SEA for modelling and understanding road noise in cars” SAE Technical Paper, 1999-01-1704 1999
- Langley R. S. Heron K. H. “Elastic wave transmission through plate/beam junctions” Journal of Sound and Vibration 143 2 241 253 1990
- Langley R. S. “Elastic wave transmission coefficients and coupling loss factor for structural junctions between curved panels” Journal of Sound and Vibration 169 3 297 317 1994
- Langley R. S. Shorter P. J. “The wave transmission coefficients and coupling loss factors of point connected structures” Journal of the Acoustical Society of. America 113 4 1947 1964 2003
- Baldanzini N. Pierini M. “An assessment of transducer mass loading effects on the parameters of an experimental statistical energy analysis (SEA) model” Mechanical System and Signal Processing 16 5 885 903 2002