This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Precision Gears with Sintered Cr Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A sintered prototype gear has been manufactured via powder metallurgy route consisting of pressing, sintering, gear rolling and case hardening. The powder mix used was Hipaloy CrL™+0.2C, a particular Fe-1.5Cr-0.2Mo mix allowing achievement of 7.55 g/cm3 in sintered density by single pressing and single sintering. The prototype sintered gear reached gear quality of DIN 7 or better for all characteristics, except for profile deviations. The surface finish achieved by gear rolling matched the surface finish of ground gears. The endurance limit in gear tooth bending strength reached 1200 MPa level, which is the typical level for wrought reference gears.
|Technical Paper||Manufacturing of Transmission Quill Gear by Sinter Hardening|
|Technical Paper||Enhanced Fatigue Life of Hypoid Gears with Precision Shot Peening|
|Technical Paper||A New High Temperature Bearing Material|
CitationDizdar, S., Johansson, P., and Howe, I., "Precision Gears with Sintered Cr Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0076, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0076.
- Iron and steel powders for sintered components, Höganäs AB, 2005.
- Hipaloy™, Marketing communication, Höganäs AB, Sweden, 2008.
- Bengtsson S., Caudebec D., Wattenberg F., Asti M., Zingale P., Rau G., Application Requirements and Material Selection of Surface Densified P/M Gears for Automotive Gearboxes, Proc. PM2004, Vienna, Austria
- Dizdar S., Johansson P., Jonsäter T. and Kanno K., Powder metal materials for gear applications, 13th SETC 2007 in Niigata, Japan, 2007, SAE paper 2007-32-0062.
- Bengtsson S., Fordén L., Bergström M., Surface densification of helical and spur gears, Advances in powder metallurgy and particulate materials, MPIF, 2005.
- Takematsu T., Koide T., Takeda Y., Bengtsson S.,. Precision Gear Profile with Chromium Alloyed Steel, Proc. EURO PM 2007 in Toulouse, France.
- Dizdar S., Fordén L., Andersson D., Surface Densified P/M Gears Made of Chromium Alloy Powder Reach Automotive Quality, Proc. EURO PM2005 in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Dugas J., Gear finishing by shaving, rolling and honing, part 1, Gear technology; March/April 1992, pp. 14-21.
- Alven D. A., Imborgno P. G., The effect of density on the bending fatigue of powdered metal gears, Paper DETC2007-34127, Proc. ASME IDETC/CIE 2007, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Doroskevich E. A., Zheltonoga L.A., Roman O.V., Bending fatigue fracture of teeth of sintered steel gears, Translated from Poroshkovaya Metallurgiya, 6 (186) 1978, pp.88-92.
- Fordén L., Bengtsson S., Kuylenstierna C., Performances and properties of surface densified P/M transmission gears, Advances in powder metallurgy and particulate materials, MPIF, 2002.