This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Air-Cooling System of 4-Stroke Scooter Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We present the results from the 3-D numerical simulations on the optimization of the fan-cooling system in a two-wheeler 4-stroke single cylinder engine. Objective was to optimize the flow rate and distribution of flow over the engine surfaces to keep the maximum temperature of engine oil and engine surfaces well within the lubrication and material limit respectively at the expense of minimum increase in fan power. This work aimed at reducing the engine oil temperature by 20°C. Combined flow and heat transfer analysis (Conjugate analysis) was conducted with the engine head and block modeled as solid medium and fan cooling system modeled as fluid medium. Reynolds-Averaged-Navier-Stokes turbulence (RANS) equations along with energy equation were solved to get the flow field and temperature distributions inside the cooling system and on the engine surfaces respectively. Moving Reference Frame approach was used for simulating the rotation of fan. Cowl geometry was modified for providing better guidance to flow over engine surfaces and to get maximum utilization of cooling capacity of flowing air. Fan size and blade shape were altered to increase the flow rate and reduce fan power consumption. Flow parameters in the cooling path and temperatures at engine surfaces were validated against the experimentally measured values on test rig. The final design gave a 24°C reduction in oil temperature and 3.1% reduction in fan power, while maintaining same flow rate.
|Technical Paper||Hydrodynamic Aspects of Capillary Pumped Loops|
|Technical Paper||Dual Fan Alternator Design Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Heat Transfer from the Heated Rib-Roughed Wall to a Steady or Pulsating Flow|
CitationKumar, V., Singh, O., Garg, M., and Chaudhary, Y., "Optimization of Air-Cooling System of 4-Stroke Scooter Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0071, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0071.
- Franco A Martorano L 1995 Principles for optimization of air cooling system applied to the two-stroke engine SAE paper 951798
- Bleier Frank P Fan Handbook McGraw-Hill First 1997 5.5
- Garg M et al. 2005 Experimental and CFD simulation-based analytical optimization of air-cooling system for a small 4-stroke scooter engine SAE paper 2005-32-0026
- Chaua K Bilanin A J Olson M E 1993 Engine Compartment Heat Rejection Analysis via Navier-Stokes Simulations SAE paper 932971
- Kiura T Kushibiki T Shiomi K. 2005 Research on prediction of cooling air flow in small air-cooled utility engines SAE paper 2005-32-0023
- Depcik C Assanis D 2002 A Universal Heat Transfer Correlation For Intake And Exhaust Flows In Spark-Ignition Internal Combustion Engine SAE Paper 2002-01-0372