This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Management System for Fuel Injection System Specifically Designed For Small Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As a result of environmental pressures and end-user demands many manufacturers are working on fuel injection systems for the small engines market [reference 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. A common approach is to take an automotive or motorcycle system and work to reduce its cost and complexity. This paper will present an engine management system designed from the outset specifically for low cost small engines.
The key topics covered in this paper are sensor selection & minimisation, practical application of electronic throttle & ignition, power consumption minimisation and discussion of the software control strategy.
In conclusion, this paper shows that most components required for a small engine management system can be integrated into a throttle body requiring only 3 external components. It is also possible, with the addition of electronic throttle and ignition, to deliver significant user enhancements.
CitationSmither, B., McFarlane, I., Drake, T., Ravenhill, P. et al., "Engine Management System for Fuel Injection System Specifically Designed For Small Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0052, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0052.
- Allen Jeffrey Ravenhill Paul A Novel Low Cost High Frequency Fuel Injection System for Small Engines 2006
- Allen Jeffrey Drake Tim Experimental Results of New Fuelling Strategies for High Frequency Low Cost Injection Systems for Small Engines 2007
- Honda Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System for a 4-Stroke 50cc Scooter http://world.honda.com/news/2003/2031003.html
- Keihin Co. Ltd Watanabe Hideyuki Ichise Shinya Nagaoka Takahiro Tsuchiya Tadao Development of Compact and high-Performance Fuel Injector Using Electromagnetic Field Simulation 2005
- Mikuni Corp. Orbital Engine Corp. Hayakawa Kunihiko Yamazaki Shigeru Takenaka Shintaro Oshiba Hidekatsu 125cc Small Engine Fuel Injection System With Low Emissions Solutions 2004
- Alves Gary Base Fuel Control Prime Controls Ltd 2007
- Allen Jeff Ravenhill Paul Smither Ben Drake Tim A Method of Fuel Injection Fueling Strategies 2007
- Bauer Horst Automotive Handbook 5 th Edition p 499 Robert Bosch GmbH 2000
- Pohl Jochen Sethson Magnus Krus Petter Palmberg Jan-Ove Modelling and Simulation of a Fast 2/2 Switching Valve Fluid and Mechanical Engineering Systems Linkoping University Sweden 2002