This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
University of Idaho's Clean Snowmobile Design Using a Direct-Injection Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The University of Idaho's (UI's) entry into the 2007 SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge (CSC) was a third-generation gasoline direct-injection (GDI) two-stroke powered snowmobile. The modulated and battery-less direct-injection system fully met the competition goals of “improved emissions and noise while maintaining or improving the performance characteristics of the original snowmobile.” The students designed and manufactured a new head for a stock two-stroke 600cc snowmobile engine. The head was designed to use direct fuel injection to control fuel quantity and timing to reduce fuel short-circuiting. Performance was refined through the use of precise engine mapping. The emissions output was further reduced by a reduction catalyst located in the exhaust silencer. Noise from the engine compartment was reduced by using sound absorbing materials and a sealed hood.
The UICSC team consisted of students from freshmen through graduate students. Educational aspects of the competition are central to the team's structure and success, as experienced team members teach and mentor new members.
The UICSC team achieved first place in the 2007 competition, and eight other awards, including Best Fuel Economy, Best Handling, Best Design, Best Value, Best Ride, Best Design Paper and Best Oral Presentation. The 2007 UI snowmobile averaged 19.6 miles per gallon in fuel economy, maintained stock power, exceeded 2012 snowmobile emissions standards with an EPA five-mode emissions score of 177 and achieved National Park Service sound reduction requirements for park admission with a J192 sound magnitude of 73 dBA.
CitationHarker, N., DenBraven, K., Johnson, J., and Findlay, A., "University of Idaho's Clean Snowmobile Design Using a Direct-Injection Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0031, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0031.
- The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge 2007 Rules Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2006
- Lela C.C. White J.J. “Laboratory Testing of Snowmobile Emissions” Report Number SwRI 08.05486 Southwest Research Institute San Antonio July 2002
- United States Environmental Protection Agency February 28 2006
- United States Department of the Interior National Park Service, Special Regulations Areas of the National Park System, Final Rule November 10 2004
- Maximum Exterior Sound Level for Snowmobiles SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice. J192
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results 2002
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results 2003
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results 2004
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results 2005
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results 2006
- Morikawa K. Takimoto H. Ogi T. “A Study of Direct Fuel Injection Two-Stroke Engine for High Specific Power Output and High Engine Speed” SAE Paper 1999-01-3288 / JSAE 9938043 1999
- Blair G.P. “Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Pa 1996
- Stone R. “Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines” Antony Rowe Ltd. Chippenham, Wiltshire 1997
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill, Inc. 1988
- Nuti M. “Emissions from Two-Stroke Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Pa 1998
- Bradbury N. French F. DenBraven K. “Improving the University of Idaho Snowmobile” SAE Paper 03-SETC-87 2003
- Wright C.W. White J.J. “Development and Validation of a Snowmobile Engine Emission Test Procedure” SAE Paper 982017 1998
- Zhao F. Harrington H.L. Lai M. “Automotive Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA. 2002
- Strauss S. Zeng Y. Montgomery D.T. “Optimization of the E-TEC® Combustion System for Direct-Injected Two-Stroke Engines Toward 3-Star Emissions” SAE Paper 2003-32-0007/20034307 2003
- Heywood, J. Sher, E. “The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine, Its Development, Operation, and Design” Taylor and Francis Inc. Braun-Braumfield, Ann Arbor, MI 1999
- Bradbury N. Findlay A. Johnson J. Van Patten E. DenBraven K. “University of Idaho's Clean Snowmobile Design Using a Direct Injection Two-Stroke” SAE Paper 2006-32-0050 2006
- Strauss S. Zeng Y. “The Effect of Fuel Spray Momentum on Performance and Emissions of Direct-Injected Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 2004-32-0013 / JSAE 20044300 2004
- Wasil J. Montgomery D. Strauss S. Bagley S.T. “Life Assessment of PM, Gaseous Emissions, and Oil Usage in Modern Marine Outboard Engines” SAE Paper 2004-32-0092/20044379 2004
- MER Equipment Seattle, Washington February 2003
- Johnson, J. Den Braven, K. “Comparison of Homogeneous, Stratified and High-Squish Stratified Combustion in a Direct-Injected Two-Stroke Engine” SAE 08SETC-0005 2008
- Personal communication Kowalski Doug Aristo Nov. 2006
- SAE 2007 Clean Snowmobile Challenge Results Warrendale, Pa.