This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Carbureted Motorcycle Exhaust Emissions Using Gasoline-Ethanol Blended Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the effect of percentage ethanol blended in gasoline on air-fuel ratio (A/F) and exhaust emissions of a 125 c.c. carbureted motorcycle. Three tests were conducted: subjective assessment of motorcycle performance test, carburetor test, and motorcycle emissions test. Several ethanol-gasoline blended fuels and six carburetor nozzles were used in the study. The motorcycle was tested on chassis-dynamometer by following CNS 11386 standard. In the experiments, the air-fuel ratio and the emissions of carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbon (HC), and nitrogen oxides (NOx) were measured and analyzed. The results showed that the motorcycle could be started up as the ethanol concentration no larger than 60%. As the concentration of the ethanol increased, A/F increased 7% and decreased 8% for different carburetors, CO emission decreased, HC emission decreased first then increased further, NOx emission increased first then decreased further as well.
CitationLin, F. and Liu, T., "A Study of Carbureted Motorcycle Exhaust Emissions Using Gasoline-Ethanol Blended Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0021, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0021.
- Method of test for exhaust pollution for motorcycles, Bureau of Standards, Metrology & Inspection July 1992
- Brinkman, N. D. Gallopoulos, N. E. Jackson, M. W. “Exhaust Emissions, Fuel Economy, and Driveability of Vehicles Fueled with Alcohol-Gasoline Blends,” SAE Paper 750120 1975
- Al-Farayedhi, A. A. Al-Dawood, A. M. Gandhidasan, P. “Effects of Blending Crude Ethanol with Unleaded Gasoline on Exhaust Emissions of SI Engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2857 2000
- Yuksel F. Yuksel B. “The use of ethanol-gasoline blend as a fuel in an SI engine,” Renewable Energy 29 1181 1191 2004
- Hwang, C. T. “A Study of Alcohols Fuels of Exhaust Emissions in Gasoline Engine,” Department of mechanical engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University Taiwan, R. O. C. January 2005
- Subramanian, M. Setia, A. K. Kanal, P. C. Pal, N. K. Nandi, S. Malhotra, R. K. “Effect of Alcohol Blended Fuels on the Emissions and Field Performance of Two-Stroke and Four-Stroke Engine Powered Two Wheelers,” SAE Paper 2005-26-034 2005
- Celik, M. B. “Experimental determination of suitable ethanol-gasoline blend rate at high compression ratio for gasoline engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 28 396 404 2008