This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Sunroof Buffeting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2008 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: Fifth International SAE India Mobility Conference on Emerging Automotive Technologies Global and Indian Perspective
Noise computations are carried out for sunroof opening in automotives at a resonating speed. First, the behavior of baseline opening shape is analyzed through frequency spectrum obtained from acoustic analysis. Then the opening shape is changed to reduce the sound pressure level of buffeting noise. The analysis with new shape is able to reduce the Noise dB levels up to 5dB. Commercial software, Fluent, is used to compute the turbulent flow field. Large-Eddy Simulation is used for better prediction of fluctuating components. Acoustic results obtained from Ffowcs-Williams and Hawkings equations are well compared with other's work.
CitationRao, J., Saravana kumar, M., and Singh, A., "Numerical Analysis of Sunroof Buffeting," SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0059, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-28-0059.
- Karbon, K. and Kumarasamy, S., “Computational Aeroacoustics Applications in Automotive Design”, First MIT Conference on Computational Solid and Fluid Mechanics, MIT, June 2001.
- Ffowcs Williams, J. E., Hydrodynamic Noise, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 1, p 197-222, 1969
- Fluent 6.3 documentation and help files, Acoustic 1.0 module documentation and help files
- Boris, J. P., Grinstein, F. F., Oran, E. S.and Kolbe, R. J., “New Insights into Large Eddy Simulation”, Fluid Dynamics Research, vol.10, No.4-6, pp.199-227, 1992.
- Nelson, P. A., Halliwell, N. A., and Doak, P. E., “Fluid Dynamics of Flow Excited Resonance, Part I: Experiment”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 78 (1), pp 15-38, 1981.
- Nelson, P. A., Halliwell, N. A., and Doak, P. E., “Fluid Dynamics of Flow Excited Resonance, Part II: Flow Acoustic Interaction”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 91(3), pp 375-402, 1983.
- Rienstra, S. W., Hirschberg, A., “An Introduction to Acoustics”, IWDE 99-02, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1999.
- Henderson, B., “Category 6, Automobile Noise Involving Feedback-Sound generation by Low Speed Cavity Flows”, Third Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) Workshop on Benchmark problems, NASA CP-2000-209790, August, 2000.
- Ota, D. K., Chakravarthy, S. R., Becker, T and Sturzenegger, T., “Computational Study of Resonance Suppression of Open Sunroofs”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 116, pp 877-882, 1994.
- Singh, R, “Sunroof Buffeting Simulations Using Pam-FLOW”, Ameripam-2001, User's Conference, Nov. 2001.