This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Sunroof Buffeting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2008 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: Fifth International SAE India Mobility Conference on Emerging Automotive Technologies Global and Indian Perspective
Noise computations are carried out for sunroof opening in automotives at a resonating speed. First, the behavior of baseline opening shape is analyzed through frequency spectrum obtained from acoustic analysis. Then the opening shape is changed to reduce the sound pressure level of buffeting noise. The analysis with new shape is able to reduce the Noise dB levels up to 5dB. Commercial software, Fluent, is used to compute the turbulent flow field. Large-Eddy Simulation is used for better prediction of fluctuating components. Acoustic results obtained from Ffowcs-Williams and Hawkings equations are well compared with other's work.
CitationRao, J., Saravana kumar, M., and Singh, A., "Numerical Analysis of Sunroof Buffeting," SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0059, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-28-0059.
- Karbon, K. Kumarasamy, S. “Computational Aeroacoustics Applications in Automotive Design” First MIT Conference on Computational Solid and Fluid Mechanics MIT June 2001
- Ffowcs Williams, J. E. Hydrodynamic Noise Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 1 197 222
- Fluent 6.3 documentation and help files Acoustic 1.0 module documentation and help files
- Boris, J. P. Grinstein, F. F. Oran, E. S. Kolbe, R. J. “New Insights into Large Eddy Simulation” Fluid Dynamics Research 10 4-6 199 227 1992
- Nelson, P. A. Halliwell, N. A. Doak, P. E. “Fluid Dynamics of Flow Excited Resonance, Part I: Experiment” Journal of Sound and Vibration 78 1 15 38 1981
- Nelson, P. A. Halliwell, N. A. Doak, P. E. “Fluid Dynamics of Flow Excited Resonance, Part II: Flow Acoustic Interaction” Journal of Sound and Vibration 91 3 375 402 1983
- Rienstra, S. W. Hirschberg, A. “An Introduction to Acoustics” Eindhoven University of Technology 1999
- Henderson, B. “Category 6, Automobile Noise Involving Feedback-Sound generation by Low Speed Cavity Flows” Third Computational Aeroacoustics (CAA) Workshop on Benchmark problems August 2000
- Ota, D. K. Chakravarthy, S. R. Becker, T Sturzenegger, T. “Computational Study of Resonance Suppression of Open Sunroofs” Journal of Fluids Engineering 116 877 882 1994
- Singh, R “Sunroof Buffeting Simulations Using Pam-FLOW” User's Conference Nov. 2001