This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Racing Simulation of a Formula 1 Vehicle with Kinetic Energy Recovery System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with the development of a Lap Time Simulator in order to carry out a first approximate evaluation of the potential benefits related to the adoption of the Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS). KERS will be introduced in the 2009 Formula 1 Season. This system will be able to store energy during braking and then use it in order to supply an extra acceleration during traction. Different technologies (e.g. electrical, hydraulic and mechanical) could be applied in order to achieve this target. The lap time simulator developed by the authors permits to investigate the advantages both in terms of fuel consumption reduction and the improvement of the lap time.
CitationSorniotti, A. and Curto, M., "Racing Simulation of a Formula 1 Vehicle with Kinetic Energy Recovery System," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2964, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2964.
- FIA Formula One Technical Regulation 2009 22 12 06
- Mosley M. 2006 British Grand Prix, Press Conference June 9 2006
- Flybrid Flywheel Hybrid System Passes First Crash Test; Developing for Road Cars as Well Green Car Congress October 28 2007 http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/10/flybrid-flywhee.html
- Flybrid F1 Kinetic Energy Recovery System Voted Engine Innovation of the Year Green Car Congress November 9 2007
- Milliken W. Milliken D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics SAE International 1-56091-5269 1995
- Brahma A. Guezennec Y. Rizzoni G. Dynamic Optimization of Mechanical/Electrical Power Flow in Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium in Advanced Vehicle Control Ann Arbor, MI, USA
- Bertsekas D.P. Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control 2nd Athena Scientific 2001
- Thomas D. W. Segal D. J. Milliken D. L. Michalowicz J. Analysis and Correlation Using Lap Time Simulation - Dodge Stratus for the North American Touring Car Championship SAE 962528
- Gadola M. Vetturi D. Cambiaghi D. Manzo L. A Tool for Lap Time Simulation SAE 962529
- Gadola M. Vetturi D. Candelpergher A. Developments of a Method for Lap Time Simulation SAE 2000-01-3562
- Law E. H. Morales J. Lap Time Simulation of Stock Cars on Super Speedways With Random Wind Gusts SAE 2004-01-3509
- Siegler B. Crolla D. Lap Time Simulation for Racing Car Design SAE 2002-01-0567
- Siegler B. Crolla D. Deakin A. Lap Time Simulation: Comparison of Steady State, Quasi-Static and Transient Racing Car Cornering Strategies SAE 2000-01-3563