This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Effective, Low-Cost Internet-Based Motorsport Driver Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Because they require substantial technical and financial resources, the use of operator-in-the-loop interactive driver training, track familiarization and race rehearsal simulation has been the province of the top tier of Formula 1 teams. This paper describes the development of a motorsport simulation software package that combines graphics and audio technology developed in the gaming industry with innovative proprietary techniques in building models of vehicles and tracks. The result is a low-cost but effective internet-based, real-time, operator-in-the-loop driver training, track familiarization and race rehearsal tool with wide application in the sport, including stockcars, sportscars, karts, drag racers, even motorcycles.
|Journal Article||Development of a Vehicle Model/Simulation Evaluation Tool|
|Technical Paper||Driving Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Low Cost Driving Simulation for Research, Training and Screening Applications|
CitationKaemmer, D., Benwick, I., and Porter, S., "Development of an Effective, Low-Cost Internet-Based Motorsport Driver Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2960, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2960.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training Van West, J. Lane-Cummings, K 2007
- Net Applications, Operating Systems Market Share http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
- The Effect of Simulator Motion on Pilot Training and Evaluation Burki-Cohen, J. Go, T.H. Soja, N.N. 2000
- Simulator Fidelity The Effect of Platform Motion Burki-Cohen, J. et al 2000
- Schofield, W. Breach, M. Engineering Surveying 6th 2007
- Leica High-Definintion Surveying Manual http://www.leica-geosystems.com/hds/en/lgs_29607.htm
- Robot Dynamics Algorithms Featherstone, R. 1987
- Race Car Vehicle Dynamics Milliken W. Milliken D. 1995
- Kasprzak, E.M. Kemper, E.L. “Inflation Pressure Effects in the Nondimensional Tire Model,” Motorsports Engineering conference & Exhibition Dearborn, Michigan Dec. 5-7 2006
- Salaani, M.K. “Analytical Tire Forces and Moments Model with Validated Data,” 2007 World Congress Detroit, Michigan April 16-19 2007
- Kuhnel, B. Trevorrow, N. “Track Surface Effects on Race Tyre Performance,” Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exhibition Dearborn, Michigan Nov. 30 Dec. 3 2004
- Personal Communication July 2007
- Pacejka, H. B. Tyre and Vehicle Dynamic 2002
- Olvey, Stephen Personal Communication November 2007