This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Full Frame Fatigue Test on Heavy Trucks and their Set up Using Finite Element Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Finite Element simulations using inertia relief (INREL) are commonly used in heavy truck chassis analysis to predict the behavior of proving ground (PG) tests. In this study, INREL is used to develop a test rig called full frame fatigue test (FFFT) by simulating a PG test.
The results of this study are:
- 1)A validated FFFT setup methodology to be used to evaluate future heavy truck frame designs.
- 2)One example to show how the scaling factors for the FFFT are developed through durability simulation to achieve equivalent PG stresses and wheel input forces.
|Technical Paper||Development of the SAE Biaxial Wheel Test Load File|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Fatigue Test Procedures: Hubs and Wheels for Demountable Rims|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Wheels, Method and Procedure for Optimal Design and Testing|
CitationVallejo, R., "Full Frame Fatigue Test on Heavy Trucks and their Set up Using Finite Element Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2667, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2667.
- Joshep, Shigley, Mechanical Engineering Design, 7th Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 2003.
- Jaap, Schivje, Fatigue of Structures and Materials, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
- Douglass, Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, 2nd Edition, Wiley, 2002.
- Young W. G. and Townsend G., MIRA Confidential Report No. 1009238/02, “HT Z-Frame phase 2 analysis report”, MIRA Ltd., England, 2005.
- Johansson I. and Gustavsson M., “FE-based Vehicle Analysis of Heavy Trucks, Part I: Methods & Models”, Proceedings of 2nd MSC Worldwide Automotive Conference, MSC, 2000.
- Öijer, F., “FE-based Vehicle Analysis of Heavy Trucks, Part II: Prediction of Force Histories for Fatigue Life Analysis”, Proceedings of 2nd MSC Worldwide Automotive Conference, MSC, 2000.