This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Thermal Judder on a Laboratory Dynamometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 12, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper considers a study of the thermo-elastic behaviour of a disc brake during heavy braking. The work is concerned with working towards developing a situation (or design) that provides uniform heating of the disc, and equally important, even dissipation of heat from the disc blade.
The approach is through a combination of modelling, on-vehicle testing but mainly laboratory investigations. The experimental work makes use of a purpose built high speed brake dynamometer which incorporates the full vehicle suspension for controlled simulation of the brake and vehicle operating conditions. Extensive instrumentation allows dynamic measurement of brake pressure fluctuations, disc surface temperature and discrete vibration measurements. Disc run-out measurements using non-contacting displacement transducers show the disc taking up varying orders of deformation ranging from first to third order during high speed testing. The mechanical measurements are complemented by thermal imaging of the brake, these images showing the vane and vent patterns on the surface of the disc. The results also include surface scanning, or topographical analysis, of the disc which is carried out at appropriate stages during testing. This surface interrogation identifies disc deformation including disc warping, “ripple” and the effects of “hot spotting”.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Thermal Deformations on the Squeal Propensity of a Simple Automotive Disc Brake System|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Localizations in Friction Brakes|
CitationFieldhouse, J., Bryant, D., Crampton, A., Talbot, C. et al., "A Study of Thermal Judder on a Laboratory Dynamometer," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2542, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2542.
- Jacobsson, H. “Aspects of disc brake judder” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 217 Journal of Automobile Engineering 2003
- De Vries, A. Wagner M. “The Brake Judder Phenomenon” SAE, 920554 1992
- Fieldhouse J. D. Beveridge C. “An Experimental Investigation of Hot Judder” SAE, 2001-01-3135
- Link Engineering “Link Engineering Newsletter” Link Engineering 8 1 2003
- Afferrante L. Ciavarella M. “Thermo-elastic dynamic instability (TEDI) - how frictional heating excites the thermoelasto-dynamic modes in a simple 1D model” IMechE Braking 2006 - Advances in Vehicle Braking Technology 189 198 2006
- Steffen T. “Hot Spot Simulation” IMechE Braking 2006 - Advances in Vehicle Braking Technology 199 207 2006
- Litos, P. “The Measuring System for the Experimental Research of Thermo-mechanical Instabilities of Disc Brakes” IMechE Braking 2006 - Advances in Vehicle Braking Technology 189 198
- Jacobsson, H. “Modeling of disc-brake judder in passenger cars” IMechE Brakes 2000 68 69
- Fieldhouse J. Bryant D. Palmer E. Mishra R “A Study of the Thermo-elastic Effects of Braking on High Performance Cars” 21st JUMV International Automotive Conference Science and Motor Vehicles Belgrade 2007
- Kubota M. Suenaya T. Doi, K. 1998 “A Study on the Mechanism Causing High Speed Brake Judder” SAE International Congress & Exposition 1998, SAE 980594