This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emission Studies of Diesel Engine Using Diethyl Ether as Oxygenated Fuel Additive
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is currently interest in finding means to improve motor vehicle fuel economy while complying with emissions regulations. Fuel additives have been widely reported to improve engine cleanliness and performance with diesel engines. Diethyl Ether (DEE ) has high octane number and compatible with current vehicle technology and fuel infrastructure. Although DEE has long been known as a cold start aid for engines, knowledge about using DEE for other operations, such as significant component of a blend or additive is limited. In this present work, experiments were conducted to study the influence of DEE on the performance and emissions of a 4-S direct injection diesel engine. From the experimental results, it is observed that the addition of DEE to diesel fuel improves the performance of the diesel engine. A slight improvement in the thermal efficiency and reduction in smoke, carbon monoxide and hydro carbon emissions were observed with B5 Blend (5 % DEE + 95 % Diesel).
CitationKapilan, N., Mohanan, P., and Reddy, R., "Performance and Emission Studies of Diesel Engine Using Diethyl Ether as Oxygenated Fuel Additive," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2466, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2466.
- Parsons Barney Westwood John “Oxygenates in Gasoline and their influence on air quality” Energy and Environment 8 2 1997
- Swami Praveen “A Question of Commitment Frontline 14 24 Nov 29 Dec 12 1997 0970 - 1710 1997 84 85
- Shih Leonard K. “Comparison of the Effects of Various Fuel Additives on the Diesel Engine Emissions” SAE Paper Number 982573
- Sharavanan A. R. Jaishanker D. Saravanan C. G. “Improved Performance and Reduced Emissions in a D. I. Engine By Fuel Additives” SAE paper number 2001-01-2504 August 2001
- Ren Yi Huang Zuohua Miao Haiyan Di Yage Jiang Deming Zeng Ke Liu Bing Wang Xibin “Combustion and emissions of a DI diesel engine fuelled with diesel-oxygenate blends” Fuel Available online 14 March 2008
- Fino Debora Specchia Vito “Open issues in oxidative catalysis for diesel particulate abatement Powder Technology Volume 180 Issues 1 2 14 January 2008 Pages 64 73
- Keskin Ali Gürü Metin Alt•parmak Duran “Biodiesel production from tall oil with synthesized Mn and Ni based additives: Effects of the additives on fuel consumption and emissions” Fuel 86 7 8 May 2007 1139 1143
- Kapilan N “Effect of DEE on the performance and emissions of a four stroke single cylinder diesel engine” 2002 NITK, Deemed University India
- de Menezes Eliana Weber da Silva Rosângela Cataluña Renato Ortega Ricardo J.C. “Effect of ethers and ether/ethanol additives on the physicochemical properties of diesel fuel and on engine tests” Fuel 85 5 6 March April 2006 815 822
- Gürü Metin Karakaya U Alt•parmak Duran Al•c•lar Ahmet “Improvement of Diesel fuel properties by using additives” Energy Conversion and Management 43 8 May 2002 1021 1025
- Lü Xing-cai Yang Jian-guang Zhang Wu-gao Huang Zhen “Improving the Combustion and Emissions of Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engines Using Oxygenated Fuel Additives Combined with a Cetane Number Improver” Energy Fuels 19 5 2005 1879 1888
- Ren Yi Huang Zuohua Miao Haiyan Di Yage Jiang Deming Zeng Ke Liu Bing Wang Xibin “Combustion and emissions of a DI diesel engine fuelled with diesel-oxygenate blends” Fuel 87 12 September 2008 2691 2697
- Nibin T Sathiyagnanam A P Sivaprakasam S Saravanan C G “Investigation on Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine using Oxygenated Fuel Additive” Journal of Institute of Engineers India 86 July 2005
- Yanfeng Gong Shenghua Liu Hejun Guo Tiegang Hu Longbao Zhou “A new diesel oxygenate additive and its effects on engine combustion and emissions” Applied Thermal Engineering 27 1 January 2007 202 207
- Shi X. Yu Y. He H. Shuai S. Wang J. Li R. “Emission characteristics using methyl soyate-ethanol-diesel fuel blends on a diesel engine” Fuel 84 12 13 September 2005 1543 1549
- Heywood John B “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill USA