This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Racing Car Airbox Performance Prediction Using LES Simulation Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with the assessment of the use of LES simulation technique on a real airbox geometry designed for a high-performance engine.
Large Eddy Simulation is a promising technique to yield a CFD tool able to predict flow unsteadiness: in LES modeling only a small part of the energy spectrum is modeled while the large scales of motion (correlated with the energy transport phenomena) are directly resolved. Given this observation, LES model becomes a very attractive tool for the fluid dynamic analysis of components characterized by a strong dynamic flow behavior like an airbox geometry.
The airbox simulations were performed by Fluent v6.3 CFD code and the Wall Adaptive Local Eddy-Viscosity (WALE) sub-grid (sgs) stress model was used. A bounded second order central differencing scheme (BCD) was adopted and a discussion of the kinetic energy conservation attitude of this scheme was performed.
In order to perform a reliable airbox LES simulation, the computational domain was constructed on the basis of a classic experimental test bench flow layout used to test the airbox performance. Results obtained by LES simulations were analyzed in terms of mean evolution and rms fluctuations of both pressure and velocity components.
The numerical results obtained from the LES simulation showed as this simulation approach could be used to clearly understand the dynamic interaction between airbox flow behavior and flow conditions on the inlet trumpet sections and to optimize the airbox layout. It is concluded that, today, LES technique is being a very proficient approach to obtain a high fluid dynamic resolution level on industrial cases.
|Technical Paper||Improving Exhaust Header Performance with Multiple Response Surface Methods|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Approach for Engine Performance Optimization|
|Journal Article||Using LES for Predicting High Performance Car Airbox Flow|
CitationBrusiani, F., Bianchi, G., Baritaud, T., and d'Espinosa, A., "Racing Car Airbox Performance Prediction Using LES Simulation Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2388, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2388.
- Pope, S.B. “Ten questions concerning the large-eddy simulation” New journal of Physics 6 35 2004
- Brusiani F. Forte C. Bianchi G.M. “Assessment of a Numerical Methodology for Large Eddy Simulation of ICE Wall Bounded Non-Reactive Flows” SAE Paper 2007-01-41451 2007
- Brusiani F. Bianchi G.M. “LES Simulation of ICE Non-Reactive Flows in Fixed Grids” SAE Paper 2008-01-0959 2008
- Ducros, F. Nicoud, F. Poinsot T. “A Wall Adapting Local Eddy-Viscosity Model for Simulation in Complex geometries” Proceedings Conference on Num. Methods in Fluid Dynamics Oxford, UK 1998
- Fluent v6.3 User Manual Fluent Inc.
- Dugué V. Gauchet N. Veynante D. “Applicability of Large Eddy Simulation to the fluid mechanics in a real engine configuration by means of an industrial code” LES for Piston Engine Flows Workshop IFP Paris 2006
- Kim S.-E. “Large eddy simulation using unstructured meshes and dynamic sub-grid scale turbulence models” Technical Report AIAA-2004-2548, 34th Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit June 2004
- Eaton, J. Johnston, J. Westphal, R. “Experimental study of flow reattachment in a single-sided sudden expansion” NASA Ames Research Center NASA contractor report 3765 1986
- Moreau, V. Lartigue, G. Sommerer, Y. Angelberger, C. Colin,. O. Poinsot, T. “Numerical Methods for Unsteady Compressible Multi-Component Reacting Flows on Fixed and Moving Grids” Journal of Computational Physics 202 710 736 2005
- Thobois, L. “Interet et Faisabilite de la Simulation aux Grandes Echelles dans les Moteurs Automobiles” 2006
- Kim W.-W. Menon S. “Application of the localized dynamic subgrid-scale model to turbulent wall-bounded flows” 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, NV January 1997
- Thobois, L. Rymer, G. Souleres, T. Poinsot, T. “Large-Eddy Simulation in IC Engine Geometries SAE Paper 2004-01-1854 2004
- Werner H. Wengle H. “Large-Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flow Over and Around a Cube in a Plate Channel” Eight Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows Munich, Germany 1991