This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pyrolysis of Mixed Solid Food, Paper, and Packaging Wastes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 29, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pyrolysis is a very versatile waste processing technology which can be tailored to produce a variety of solid, liquid and/or gaseous products. The pyrolysis processing of pure and mixed solid waste streams has been under investigation for several decades for terrestrial use and a few commercial units have been built for niche applications. Pyrolysis has more recently been considered for the processing of mixed solid wastes in space. While pyrolysis units can easily handle mixed solid waste streams, the dependence of the pyrolysis product distribution on the component composition is not well known. It is often assumed that the waste components (e.g., food, paper, plastic) behave independently, but this is a generalization that can usually only be applied to the overall weight loss and not always to the yields of individual gas species. The current paper will present results on pyrolysis of various mixtures of plastic (polyethylene), food (composite of 40% assorted dried food, 30% flour, 10% milk powder, 7% egg powder, 4% potato powder, 3% gluten, 3% corn starch, 3% sugar), and paper (cellulose). In addition to the model mixed food waste sample, additional runs were done with actual restaurant food waste after it was dehydrated. The paper will include results for major product yields (char, gas, water + oil, carbon) as well as the gas composition (H2, CO2, CO, CH4, C2H4, and NH3), and the char composition and char reactivity.
- Michael Serio - Advanced Fuel Research Inc.
- Erik Kroo - Advanced Fuel Research Inc.
- Elizabeth Florczak - Advanced Fuel Research Inc.
- Marek Wójtowicz - Advanced Fuel Research Inc.
- Kanapathipillai Wignarajah - NASA Ames Research Center
- John Hogan - NASA Ames Research Center
- John Fisher - NASA Ames Research Center
CitationSerio, M., Kroo, E., Florczak, E., Wójtowicz, M. et al., "Pyrolysis of Mixed Solid Food, Paper, and Packaging Wastes," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2050, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2050.
- Freeman H.M. Standard Handbook of Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal , Sections 8.7 and 9.3 McGraw-Hill New York 1989
- Corbitt R.A. Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering McGraw-Hill New York 1990
- Brunner C.R. Handbook of Incineration Systems McGraw-Hill New York 1991
- Serio M. Kroo E. Bassilakis R. Wójtowicz M. Suuberg E. “A Prototype Pyrolyzer for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space,” SAE 2001-01-2349 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems July 9-12, 2001 Orlando, Florida
- Chen Y. Di Taranto M. Kroo E. Wójtowicz M. A. Suuberg E. M. Serio M. A. Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space Phase I Final Report, NASA SBIR contract No. NAS2-99001 Advanced Fuel Research, Inc. East Hartford, CT June 1999
- Serio M. A. Chen Y. Wójtowicz M. A. Suuberg E. M. “Pyrolysis Processing of Mixed Solid Waste Streams,” ACS Div. of Fuel Chem. Prepr. 45 3 466 474 2000
- Serio M. A. Chen Y. Wójtowicz M. A. Suuberg E. M. “Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space,” Proc. 30th Int. Conf on Environmental Systems Toulouse, France 10-13 July, 2000 SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2286
- Serio M.A. Kroo E. Florczak E.H. Wójtowicz M.A. Suuberg E.M. “Utilization of Solid Waste for Activated Carbon Production in Space,” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-2372 2003
- Serio M.A. Kroo E. Wójtowicz M.A. “Biomass Pyrolysis for Distributed Energy Generation,” ACS Div. of Fuel Chem. Prepr. 48 2 584 589 2003
- Serio M.A. Kroo E. Wójtowicz M.A. Suuberg E. Filburn T. Pyrolysis Processing for Solid Waste Resource Recovery in Space Phase II Final Report NAS2-00007 Dec. 2002
- Serio M.A. Kroo E. Florcazk E. Wójtowicz M.A. Wignarajah K. Howard K. Fisher J. “A Hybrid Pyrolysis/Oxidation System for Solid Waste Resource Recovery,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-2380 2004
- Rabasca L. “Waste from Restaurants,” Waste Age 77 80 1993
- Cascadia Consulting Group “Waste Disposal and Diversion Findings for Selected Industry Groups,” California EPA, Integrated Waste Management Board June 2006
- Serio M.A. Kroo E. Magoon G. Wójtowicz M.A. Birbara P. “A Hybrid Pyrolysis/lncineration System for Solid Waste Resource Recovery,” Final Report under Contract NNA04CA07C February 2006
- Sheng C. Azevedo J.L.T. Biomass and Bioenergy 28 5 499 507 2005
- Klass D.L. Biomass for Renewable Energy, Fuels, and Chemicals Academic Press New York 1998