This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Basic Study on Modeling of Forearm Torsional Operations for Digital Human
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to propose a method to evaluate operations involving forearm torsion, such as screw driving and knob turning, for digital human models. The rotational ranges of an object gripped with a hand and the working postures of the upper limb were measured at various positions of the object. The results demonstrated that the rotational ranges of the object varied depending on the working posture. The degree of coincidence was defined among direction vectors for each segment in the link model consisting of the upper limb and the rotated object. A method was proposed to estimate the rotational ranges of the object from the degree of coincidence. Based on this method, software has been developed in order to evaluate operations involving forearm torsion.
CitationFukui, Y., Sugimura, N., and Kawano, T., "A Basic Study on Modeling of Forearm Torsional Operations for Digital Human," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1903, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1903.
- Chaffin, D.B., Improving digital human modeling for proactive ergonomics in design, Ergonomics, Vol.48, Issue 5,(2005), pp.478-491.
- Kawano, T., Onosato, M., Iwata, K., Visualizing the Postural Stability of a Digital Human in Working, SAE International Conference of Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering, 2003-01-2222 (2003), p.1-6.
- Ogino T.,Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis: Compen-satory rotation around the wrist and rotation osteotomy, J H and Surg 12-B, (1987),pp.173-178.
- Pappas,A.M., Zawacki,R.M. Sullivan,T.J., Bio-mechanics of baseball pitching - A preliminary report, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 13,(1985),p.216-222.
- Gowitzke,B.A.,Waddell,D.B., Technique of badminton stroke production, Terauds,J.,(Eds.), Science in Racquet Sports, Academic Publishers,(1979),p.17-41.
- Abdel-Aziz, Y. & Karara, H.M., Direct Linear Transformation From Comparator Co-ordinates into Object Space Co-ordinates in Close Range Photogrammetry. Papers from the American Society of Photogrammetry Symposium on Close Range Photogrammetry, Urbana, Illinois. 433,(1971), pp. 1-18.
- Robbin M. L. et al., Anatomic and kinematic analysis of the human forearm using high-speed computed tomography, Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, Vol.24, No.2, (1986), pp.164-168.
- Nakamura T. et al., In vivo motion analysis of forearm rotation utilizing magnetic resonance imaging, Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.14, Issue 5,(1999), pp.315-320.
- Fische K.J. et al., A method for measuring joint kinematics designed for accurate registration of kinematic data to models constructed from CT data, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.34, Issue 3,(2001), pp. 377-383.