This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Impact Configurations for the Development of a Crash-Test Standard in Motorcycle Safety Using a Human Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The problem of injuries to motorcyclists caused by impacts on roadside barriers has been a research issue for more than two decades. Within the European research project APROSYS SP4 “Motorcycle Accidents”, a European crash test standard for the assessment of impact performance of roadside barriers with respect to injury risks will be proposed. The focus of this work is on the sliding impact after the separation of the rider from the powered two-wheeler. The human model for crash simulation HUMOS2 was applied to gain insights into injury mechanisms. It was found that an impact configuration specifically aiming at the loading of the thorax does not need to be included in a test standard.
As there are no crash-test dummies available that have specifically been developed and validated for this application, the use of a numerical human body model is the only way to gain insight into the described problem without conducting PMHS tests.
|Technical Paper||Material Properties for Modeling Traumatic Aortic Rupture|
|Technical Paper||SIMULATION OF TRUCK REAR UNDERRUN BARRIER IMPACT|
|Technical Paper||A New Concept for Occupant Deceleration Control in a Crash - Part 2|
CitationPeldschus, S., Schuller, E., Garcia, D., Pérez-Magallón, B. et al., "Comparison of Impact Configurations for the Development of a Crash-Test Standard in Motorcycle Safety Using a Human Model," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1900, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1900.
- Peldschus S. Schuller E. Koenig J. Gaertner M. Garcia D. Mansilla A. “Technical bases for the development of a test standard for impacts of powered two-wheelers on roadside barriers,” Proceedings of the 20th Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Conference 2007
- Bouquet R. Ramet M. Dejammes M. “Protocole d'essais de dispositifs de retenue assurant la securité des motocyclistes” Report LBSU Nº9807 for LIER/INRETS Lyon 1998
- “Final report for the assessment of motorcyclists' protection systems performance situated in safety roadside barriers and pretils,” UNE 135900-1 report CIDAUT Fundación para la Investigación y Desarrollo en Automoción Valladolid 2005
- Gaertner M. Rücker P. Berg A. “Entwicklung und Prüfung der Anforderungen an Schutzeinrichtungen zur Verbesserung der Sicherheit von Motorradfahrern,” Wirtschaftsverlag NW Bremerhaven 2006
- APROSYS SP 4 “Proposal of a new standard”
- Peldschus S. Schuller E. “Simulation of motorcyclists' impacts on roadside barriers using a numerical human model,” Proceedings of the 6th International Motorcycle Conference Ifz research publications Cologne 2006
- Kuppa S. Eppinger R. H. McKoy F. Nguyen T. Pintar F. A. Yoganandan N. “Development of Side Impact Thoracic Injury Crtiteria and Their Application to the Modifed ES-2 Dummy with Rib Extensions (ES-2re),” Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 SAE 189 210 2003
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM) “Abbreviated Injury Scale,” 1990
- Schueler F. Schmidt G. Mattern R. “Biomechanische Versuche hinsichtlich des passiven Unfallschutzes von Aufsassen motorisierter Zweiradfahrzeuge beim Anprall gegen Schutzplankenpfosten” SPIG Schutzplanken- Produktions-Gesellschaft 1985