This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Discomfort Model for Arm Movements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The group human modeling of the Lehrstuhl für Ergonomie at the Technische Universität München has the aim to develop an autonomous digital human model. On this way a general dynamic discomfort model for posture and movement shall be developed in order to predict the perceived discomfort of a human during a task (e.g. lifting of a weight). This can be used to provide suggestions for the concept of a new product.
Using a discomfort model in the dynamic situation that is based on force and posture is unique and leads to a new quality, because the rate of the force or torque potential of a person can be taken into consideration. Motion prediction under load will be improved. This can help to solve current questions of automotive companies like ingress/egress.
In this paper a discomfort model for an arm movement is described and generated in the context of a lifting task. It is derived from a static model and accounts for the force level of a subject. A multi body model of the human arm is used to predict the local and global discomfort. Its attributes and the future development are discussed.
CitationFritzsche, F. and Bubb, H., "Discomfort Model for Arm Movements," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1872, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1872.
- Monnier G. Simulation de mouvements humains complexes et prediction de l'incomfort associe L'institut national des science appliquees de Lyon 2004 Simulation of task oriented complex human movements and prediction of the associated discomfort
- Abdel-Malek, K. Yang, J. Marler, T. Beck, S. Mathai, A. Zhou, X. Patrick, A. Arora, J. Toward a new generation of virtual humans International Journal of Human Factors Modeling and Simulation 1 1 2 39
- Dufour F. Wang X. Discomfort Assessment of Car Ingress/Egress Motions using the Concept of Neutral Movement Proceedings of the SAE DHMS 2005 Iowa 2005-01-2706
- Zacher I. Bubb H. Strength Based Discomfort Model of Posture and Movement Proceedings of the SAE DHMS 2004 Rochester
- Cherednichenko A. Assmann E. Bubb H. Computational Approach for Entry Simulation Proceedings of the SAE DHMC 2006 Iowa 2006-01-2358
- Fritzsche F. Bubb H. Prediction of Discomfort During Arm Movements Proceedings of the first International Conference on Digital Human Modeling (ICDHM) 2007 Beijing
- Seitz T. Bubb H. Human-model based movement-capturing without markers for ergonomie studies Proceedings of the SAE DHMC 2001 Arlington
- Shen W. Parsons K. C. Validity and reliability of rating scales for seated pressure discomfort International Journal of Ergonomics 20 1997 441 461
- Corlett E. N. Bishop R. P. A Technique for Assessing Postural Diskomfort Ergonomics 19 2 175 182 1976
- Benutzerhandbuch DYNAMICUS alaska 5.0 Institut für Mechatronik Chemnitz, Germany
- de Koning F.L. Binkhorst R.A. Vos J.A. van't Hof M. A. The force-velocity relationship of arm flexion in untrained males and females and arm-trained athletes European Journal of Applied Physiology 1985 34 89 94
- Yeadon M. R. King M. A. Wilson C. Modelling the maximum voluntary joint torque/angular velocity relationship in human movement Journal of Biomechanics 39 2006 476 482
- Kee, D. Karwowski, W Ranking systems for evaluation of joint and joint motion stressfulness based on perceived discomforts Applied Ergonomics 2003 34 167 176
- Schäfer P. Zacher I. On the way to autonomously moving manikins - empowered by discomfort feelings Proceedings of the XVI. World Congress on Ergonomics of the IEA 2006 Maastricht