This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Study on the Airflow and Heat Transfer Characteristic in a Nacelle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Five design schemes of helicopter nacelle ventilation cooling system were proposed to provide efficiently cooling for the nacelle. In order to evaluate the cooling effect of these design schemes, the characteristic of airflow and heat transfer in the nacelle was numerically calculated by a general CFD software. Unstructured mesh and finite volume method (FVM) were applied for calculation regions and governing equations discreteness, and standard k - ε model was adopted to solve turbulent governing equation. For five schemes of nacelle cooling system, the influence of cooling air inlet size, position, mass flow rate and ambient temperature under hover condition on the flow and temperature field distributions was discussed. Also transient calculations were carried out when the engine was shut down. The results provided a theoretical basis for design and optimization of nacelle ventilation cooling system.
CitationXie, Y., Yu, J., and Gao, H., "Simulation Study on the Airflow and Heat Transfer Characteristic in a Nacelle," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1820, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1820.
- Matsushima Y., Takeuchi T., Kohri I.. Prediction method of engine compartment air flow using CFD analysis. JSAE, 2000, 21: 197-203
- Xixia Liu, Xiaoping Bi, Yixian Zhao. A numerical study on the 3-D airflow and heat transfer in an armored personnel carrier passenger compartment [J], ACTA armamentar II, 2003, Vol.24(1): 15-18
- Jiangping Chen, Zhaopu Sun, Xiongcai Que, etc. A numerical and experimental study of the ventilation of light-duty bus [J]. Journal of applied sciences, 2002, Vol.20(2): 169-172
- Wenquan Tao. Recent advances in computational heat transfer [M] (Second Edition). Beijing: Science Press, 2000, 64-79
- yihua Cao. Method for predicting rotor vortex wake and downwash velocity field[J]. Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2000, Vol.26(2): 174-177
- Helicopter Research and Development Institute. Study report of flow and temperature field simulated for WT6 engine nacelle[R], 2006,China