This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Regulated and Unregulated Cold Start Emissions for Different Real World Urban Driving Cycles Using a SI Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An in-vehicle FTIR emission measurement system was used to investigate the exhaust emissions under different real world urban driving conditions. Five different driving cycles were developed based on real world urban driving conditions including urban free flow driving, junction maneuver, congested traffic and moderate speed cruising. The test vehicle was a EURO 2 emission compliant SI car equipped with temperature measurement along the exhaust pipe across the catalyst and real time fuel consumption measurement system. Both regulated and non-regulated emissions were measured and analyzed for different driving cycles. All journeys were started from cold. The engine warm up features and emissions as a function of engine warm up for different driving conditions were investigated.
CitationLi, H., Andrews, G., Savvidis, D., Daham, B. et al., "Characterization of Regulated and Unregulated Cold Start Emissions for Different Real World Urban Driving Cycles Using a SI Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1648, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1648.
- Hans P Cozzarini C Emissions and air quality SAE Reference book R237 2000 SAE Internaional
- Gurney MD Allsup JR Predictability of Emissions from In-Use Vehicles at Low-Ambient Temperature and Alternate Driving Cycle Based on Standard Tests 1989 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 890625
- UK national atmospheric emissions inventory website: http://www.naei.org.uk
- Laurikko J Aakko P The Effect of Ambient Temperature on the Emissions of Some Nitrogen Compounds: A Comparative Study on Low-Medium and High Mileage Three-Way Catalyst Vehicles 1995 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 950933
- Laurikko J Erlandsson L Arbrahamsson R Exhaust in Cold Ambient Conditions: Considerations for a European Test Procedure 1995 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 95923
- Larson RE Vehicles Emissions Characteristics under Cold Ambient Condition 1989 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 890021
- Taylor GWR Stewart S Cold Start Impact on Vehicle Energy Use 2001 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 2001-01-0221
- Laurikko J Nylund N Regulated and Unregulated Emissions from Catalyst Vehicles at Low Ambient Temperature SAE Technical Paper Series 930946 1993 SAE International
- Jason DH Checkel MD Quantifying Vehicle Emission Factors for Various Ambient Conditions using an On-Road, Real-Time Emissions system 2003 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 2003-01-0301
- Andrews GE Harris JR Ounzain A Transient Heating and Emissions of an SI Engine during the Warm-up period 1988 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 880264
- Andrews GE Harris JR Ounzain A The Role of Cooling Water and Lubricating Oil Temperature on Transient Emissions during SI Engine Warm-up 1988 I.Mech.E.
- Andrews GE Harris JR Ounzain A Experimental Methods for Investigating the Transient Heating and Emissions of an SI Engine during the Warm-up Period 1988 I.Mech.E.
- Andrews GE Ounzain A Al-fawaz AD Ghazhikhani M Dyke PH Catalyst Performance during the Warm-up period 2nd British-Italian conference in Engine 1990
- Piotr B Jerzy M Cold Start Emissions Investigation at Different Temperature Conditions 1998 SAE International SAE Technical Paper Series 980401
- Li H Ropkins K Andrews GE Daham B Bell MC Tate JE et al. Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car SAE Technical Paper Series 2006-01-3368 Proceedings of Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference 2006 SAE International Toronto, Canada
- Andrews GE Zhu G Li H Simpson A Wylie JA Bell M. Tate EJ The Effect of Ambient Temperature on Cold Start Urban Traffic emissions for a Real World SI Car SAE Technical Paper Series 2004-01-2903 2004 SAE International
- Andrews GE Li H Wylie JA Zhu G Bell MC Tate EJ Influence of Ambient temperature on Cold-start Emissions for a Euro 1 SI Car using in-vehicle Emissions measurement in an Urban Traffic Jam Test Cycle SAE Technical Paper Series 2005-01-1617 2005 SAE International
- Duxbury RMC Morton SGC Measurements of Ozone Precursor Substances, Environmental Law Fifth Edition 2004 Oxford University Press