This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Analysis of Air Intake System with Negative Pressure on Intake Grill
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of the current research was to predict and analyze the flow through the grill of air intake system which is positioned behind the front wheel arch of vehicle. Most of the vehicle used today locates the grill of air intake at the front side so to acquire benefit of ram effect. In some cases, however, the grill is located behind the vehicle to improve wading performance. The geometry of air intake system of Land Rover Freelander was used in the modelling approach. The study was focused on different flow speeds on the grill at high load operation where the air speed at the grill side is high and creates negative pressure. The CFD results are validated against experimental data of steady flow test bench. It was found that flow visualization of CFD simulations under steady flow conditions could explore the air flow behaviour in the intake manifold system in such a way that geometrical design can be modified to increase the capabilities of air induction system to suck more air to the engines.
CitationMamat, R., Mahrous, A., Xu, H., Wyszynski, M. et al., "CFD Analysis of Air Intake System with Negative Pressure on Intake Grill," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1643, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1643.
- Heywood, J.B (1988), Internal Combustion Engine Fundamental, McGraw Hill, New York
- Xu, H (2001), Some Critical Technical Issues on the Steady Flow Testing of Cylinder Heads, SAE 2001-01-1308
- Lilly, L.C.R (1984), Diesel Engine Reference Book, Butterworth, London
- Ganesan, V. et.al (2004) Flow field Analysis of a Multi Cylinder S.I Engine Air Intake System Using Computational Fluid Dynamics, SAE 2004-28-0010
- FLUENT 6.2 User's Guide
- Douglas, J.F (1995) Fluid Mechanics, Longman Scientific & Technical, London
- Lee, K.H, (1998) A Study on the Influence of Plastic Intake Manifold on the Performance and NVH of In-line 4 Cylinder Gasoline Engine, SAE 980728
- Huallpa, B.N, et.al (2005) Development of a Rig Test to Measure Transmission Loss of Air Intake Systems, SAE 2005-01-4112
- Ling, L & Tun, L.T.Y (2006) CFD Analysis of Non-Symetrycal Intake Manifold for Formula SAE Car, SAE 2006-01-1976
- Versteeg, H.K & Malalasekera, W (1995) An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Longman Scientific & Technical, London
- Siqueira, C.L.R et.al (2006) Three-dimensional Numerical Analysis of Flow Inside an Automotive Air Filter, SAE 2006-01-2629