This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Biodiesel (B-20) on Performance and Emissions in a Single Cylinder HSDI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The focus of this study is to determine the effect of using B-20 (a blend of 20% soybean methyl ester biodiesel and 80% ultra low sulfur diesel fuel) on the combustion process, performance and exhaust emissions in a High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) diesel engine equipped with a common rail injection system. The engine was operated under simulated turbocharged conditions with 3-bar indicated mean effective pressure and 1500 rpm engine speed. The experiments covered a wide range of injection pressures and EGR rates. The rate of heat release trace has been analyzed in details to determine the effect of the properties of biodiesel on auto ignition and combustion processes and their impact on engine out emissions. The results and the conclusions are supported by a statistical analysis of data that provides a quantitative significance of the effects of the two fuels on engine out emissions.
CitationNagaraju, V., Henein, N., Quader, A., Wu, M. et al., "Effect of Biodiesel (B-20) on Performance and Emissions in a Single Cylinder HSDI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1401, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1401.
CI Engine Performance for use with Alternative Fuels, 2008
Number: SP-2176 ; Published: 2008-04-14
Number: SP-2176 ; Published: 2008-04-14
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions”; EPA 420-P-02-01, EPA: Washington, DC, 2002.
- Tat, M.E. and Van Gerpen, J.H. (2002) “Physical Properties and Composition Detection of Biodiesel-diesel Fuel Blends”. ASAE Paper No. 026084 2002 ASAE Annual International Meeting / CIGR XVth World Congress Sponsored by ASAE and CIGR Hyatt Regency Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Graboski, M. S.; McCormick, R. L. “Combustion of Fat and Vegetable Oil Derived Fuel in Diesel Engines”. Program Energy Combust. Sci. 1998, 24(2), 125-164.
- McCormick Robert L., Tennant Christopher J., Hayes R. Robert, Black Stuart, Ireland John, McDaniel Tom, Williams Aaron, Frailey Mike “Regulated Emissions from Biodiesel Tested in Heavy-Duty Engines Meeting 2004 Emission Standards” SAE Technical Paper No. 2005-01-2200 (2005).
- Senatore A., Cardone M. Buono D., Rocco V., Allocca L., Vitolo S., “Performances and Emissions optimization of a CR Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel” SAE Technical Paper No. 2006-01-2200 (2006).
- Senatore A. and Cardone M., Rocco V., Prati M. V., “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process in D. I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel”, SAE Technical Paper No. 2000-01-0691 (2002).
- Sybist, J.P. and Boehman, A.L. “Behavior of A Diesel Injection System with Biodiesel Fuel” SAE Technical Paper No. 2003-01-1039 (2003).
- Tat, M. E.; Van Gerpen, J. H. “Measurement of Biodiesel Speed of Sound and Its Impact on Injection Timing”; NREL S/R 510-31462, National Renewable Energy Laboratory: Golden, CO, 2003.
- Rakopoulos C.D., Antonopoulos K.A., Rakopoulos D.C., Hountalas D.T., Giakoumis E.G., “Comparative performance and emissions study of a direct injection Diesel engine using blends of Diesel fuel with vegetable oils or bio-diesels of various origins”, Renew Energy 0196-8904, 2006 Elsevier Ltd.
- Senthil Kumar M., Ramesh A., Nagalingam B., “An experimental comparison of methods to use methanol and Jatropha oil in a compression ignition engine”, Biomass and Bioenergy 25 (2003) 309 - 318 2003 Elsevier Ltd.
- McCormick,Williams, A. Ireland, J. Brimhall, and Hayes, R.R. “Effects of Biodiesel Blends on Vehicle Emissions October 2006 Fiscal Year 2006 Annual Operating Plan Milestone 10.4” NREL/MP-540-40554
- McCormick, R.L. Alvarez, J.R. and Graboski M.S. “NOX Solutions for Biodiesel” Final Report 6 in a series of 6, NREL/SR-510 31465
- Henein N. A., Singh I.P., Zhong L. and Lai M-C., Bryzik W., “New Integrated “O.P.E.R.A.S.” Strategies for Low Emissions in HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Technical Paper No. 2003-01-0261(2003).
- Henein, N. A., Lai, M-C., Singh, I., Wang, D., and Lui, L., “Emission Trade-Off and Combustion characteristics of a High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 2001-01-097, SP-1592, 2001.