This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fuel Physical Properties on Diesel Engine Combustion using Diesel and Bio-diesel Fuels
ISSN: 1946-3952, e-ISSN: 1946-3960
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Ra, Y., Reitz, R., McFarlane, J., and Daw, C., "Effects of Fuel Physical Properties on Diesel Engine Combustion using Diesel and Bio-diesel Fuels," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):703-718, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1379.
- Fuel Fact Sheets, National Biodiesel Board, www.biodiesel.org.
- Akasaka, Y., Suzuki, T., and Sakurai, Y. 1997. “Exhaust Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel,” SAE 972998, 1997.
- McCormick, R. L., Alvarez, J. R., Graboski, M. S., Tyson, K. S., and Vertin, K., “Fuel Additive and Blending Approaches to Reducing NOx Emissions from Biodiesel,” SAE 2002-01-1658, 2002.
- Szybist, J. P., and Boehman, A. L., “Behavior of a Diesel Injection System with Biodiesel Fuel,” SAE 2003-01-1039, 2003.
- Tat, M. E., Van Geroen, J. H., and Wang, P. S., “Fuel Property Effects on Injection Timing, Ignition Timing and Oxides of Nitrogen Emissions from Biodiesel-Fueled Engines,” 2004 ASAE/CSAE Annual International Meeting, Ottowa, Ontario, Canada, August 1-4, 2004.
- Cheng, A.S., Upatnieks, A., and Mueller, C.J., “Investigation of the impact of biodiesel fuelling on NOx emissions using an optical direct injection diesel engine,” Int. J. Engine. Research, 7, 297-318, 2006.
- Marchese, A. J., Vaughn, T. L., Hammill, M., and Harris, M., “Ignition Delay of Bio-Ester Fuel Droplets,” SAE 2006-01-3302, 2006.
- Chakravarthy, K., McFarlane J., Daw, S.C. Ra, Y. and Reitz, R.D., “Physical Properties of Soy Bio-diesel & Implications for Use of Bio-diesel in Diesel Engines,” SAE 2007-01-4030, 2007.
- Brakora, J.L., Ra, Y., Reitz, R.D., McFarlane J., and Daw, S.C, “Development and Validation of a Reduced Reaction Mechanism for Biodiesel-Fueled Engine Simulations,” submitted to SAE 2008 World Congress, 2007.
- Yuan, W., Hansen, A.C., Zhang, Q., “Predicting the physical properties of biodiesel for combustion modeling,” Transactions of the ASAE 46(6), 1487-1493, 2003.
- Reid, R.C., Prausnitz, J.M., Sherwood, T.K., “Properties of Gases and Liquids, 4th Ed., New York, N.Y., McGraw-Hill, 1987.
- Yamane, K., Ueta, A., Shimamoto, Y., “Influence of physical and chemical properties of biodiesel fuel on injection, combustion, and exhaust emission characteristics in a DI-CI engine,” In Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 2001, July 1-4, 2001, Nagoya.
- Allan, C.A.W., Watts, K.C., Ackman, R.G., Pegg, M.J., Fuel 78, 1319, 1999.
- Schumacher, L., Chellappa, A., Wetherell, W., Russell, M.D., “The physical and chemical characterization of biodiesel low sulfur diesel fuel blends,” National Biodiesel Board, U. Missouri, Dec. 20, 1995.
- Herb, S.F., Magidman, P., Reimansc, R.W., “Observations on response factors for thermal conductivity detectors in GLC analysis of fatty acid methyl esters,” J. Am. Oil Chemists Soc. 44(1), p. 32, 1967.
- Tseng, C.C., Viskanta, R., “Effect of radiation absorption on fuel droplet evaporation,” Combustion Science and Technology 177 (8), 1511-1542, 2005.
- Huber, M.L., Perkins, R.A., “Thermal conductivity correlations for minor constituent fluids in natural gas: n-octane, n-nonane, and n-decane,” Fluid Phase Equilibria 227, 47-55, 2005.
- Skelland, A.H.P., Diffusional Mass Transfer, Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar FL.
- Chung, T.-H., Ajlan, M., Lee, L.L., Starling, K.E., “Generalized multiparameter correlation for nonpolar and polar fluid transport properties,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 27, 671-679, 1988.
- Chung, T.H., Lee, L.L., Starling, K.E., “Applications of kinetic gas theory and multiparameter correlation for prediction of dilute gas viscosity and thermal conductivity,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 23, 8-13, 1984.
- Duran, A., Carmona, M., Monteagudo, J.M., “Modeling soot and SOF emissions from a diesel engine”, Chemosphere 56(3), 209-225, 2004.
- Fisher, E.M., Pitz, W.J., Curran, H.J., Westbrook, C.K., “Detailed chemical kinetics mechanisms for the combustion of oxygenated fuels,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28, 1579-1586, 2000.
- Tamim, J., Hallett, W.L.H., “A continuous thermodynamics model for multicomponent droplet vaporization,” Chem. Eng. Science 50, 2933-2942, 1995.
- Tat, M.E., van Gerpen, J.H., “The specific gravity of biodiesel and its blends with diesel fuel,” The Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 77(2), 115-119, 2000.
- Yaw, C. L., CRC Handbook of Chemicals and Physics, various editions; and Chemical Properties Handbook, McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, 1999.
- van Bommel, M.J., Oonk, H.A.J., van Miltenberg, J.C., “Heat capacity measurements of 13 methyl esters of n-carboxylic acids from methyl octanoate to methyl eicosanoate between 5K and 350K,” J. Chem. Eng. Data 49, 1036-1042, 2004.
- Gallant, R.W., and Yaws, C.L., Physical Properties of Hydrocarbons, 3rd ed., Houston, Gulf Pub. Co., 1995.
- Amsden, A.A., KIVA-3V, Release 2, Improvements to KIVA-3V, LA-UR-99-915, 1999.
- Kee, R.J., Rupley, F.M., Miller, J.A., “CHEMKIN-II: A FORTRAN Chemical Kinetics Package for the Analysis of Gas Phase Chemical Kinetics,” Sandia Report SAND 89-8009, 1989.
- Beale, J.C., and Reitz, R.D., “Modeling Spray Atomization with the Kelvin-Helmholtz/Rayleigh-Taylor Hybrid Model,” Atomization and Sprays, 9, 623-650, 1999.
- Liu, A.B., Mather, D., Reitz, R.D., “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Sprays,” SAE 930072, 1993.
- Ra, Y., and Reitz, R.D., “A Model for Droplet Vaporization for Use in Gasoline and HCCI Engine Applications,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power, 126(2), 422-428, 2004.
- Ra, Y. and Reitz, R.D., “The Application of a Multi-Component Vaporization Model to Gasoline Direct Injection Engines,” Int. J. of Engine Research, 4(3), 193-218, 2003.
- O'Rourke, P.J., and Amsden, A. A., “A spray/wall interaction submodel for the KIVA-3 wall film model,” SAE 2000-01-0271, 2000.
- Opat, R., Ra, Y., Gonzalez, M.A., Krieger, D., R., Reitz, R.D., Foster, D. E., Durrett, R.P., and Siewert, R.M., “Investigation of Mixing and Temperature Effects on HC/CO Emissions for Highly Dilute Low Temperature Combustion in a Light Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE 2007-01-0193, 2007.
- Patel, A., Kong, S.C., and Reitz, R.D., “Development and Validation of a Reduced Reaction Mechanism for HCCI Engine Simulations,” SAE 2004-01-0558, 2004.
- Kong, S.C., Sun, Y., and Reitz, R.D., “Modeling Diesel Spray Flame Lift-Off, Sooting Tendency and NOx Emissions Using Detailed Chemistry with Phenomenological Soot Model,” Journal of Gas Turbines and Power, 129, 245-251, 2007.
- Hiroyasu, H. and Kadota, T., “Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in DI Diesel Engines,” SAE 760129, 1979.
- Araújo, M.E., Meireles, M.A.A., “Improving phase equilibrium calculation with the Peng-Robinson EOS for fats and oils related compounds/supercritical CO2 systems.” Fluid Phase Equilibria 169, 49-64, 2000.