This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research and Development Work on High-performance Lithium-ion Batteries for EV Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
From the beginning of the 1990s, we have been vigorously investigating a high-performance power source system for application to environmental vehicles, focusing our research and development efforts specifically on lithium-ion batteries. In order to adapt a battery system to the requirements of the target vehicle, battery performance must be predicted and designed more accurately. In the case of hybrid electric vehicles, for example, battery power must be reliably assured. Improving battery power requires quantitative analytical methods as fundamental techniques for understanding the basic processes that take place in a battery. From this perspective, we began constructing a battery simulation model from scratch in the middle of the 1990s concurrently with our battery R&D activities. The model simulates electrode reactions and charge transport and has been used in investigating the influence of these factors on battery performance.
This same approach is thought to be effective for constructing a high-performance lithium-ion battery system for electric vehicles (EVs). This paper presents a study concerning the optimization of battery performance for EV application by analyzing the reactions and lithium-ion transport process taking place inside the battery. The battery system was also investigated with respect to thermal considerations.
CitationHisamitsu, Y., Abe, T., Kinoshita, T., Miyakubo, H. et al., "Research and Development Work on High-performance Lithium-ion Batteries for EV Application," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1332, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1332.
- Horie H. et al. Development of a Lithium-ion Battery System for EV Application Preprints of the Spring Scientific Lecture Series of JSAE 961 1996
- Miyamoto T. et al. Advanced Battery System for Electric Vehicle (FEV-II) 1996
- Horie H. et al. Development of a High-power Lithium-ion Battery System for HEV Application Preprints of the Spring Scientific Lecture Series of JSAE 971 1997
- Hirata N. et al. Thermal Management System of Lithium-ion Battery for The NISSAN ALTRA-EV 1997
- Horie H. et al. Development of A high Power Lithium-Ion Battery System for HEV 1997
- Kikuchi T. et al. Evaluation Tests of Nissan Hybrid Electric Vehicle 1997
- Horie H. et al. Development of a PHEV Power Supply System using High-power Lithium-ion Batteries Preprints of the Autumn Scientific Lecture Series of JSAE 90 1998
- Abe T. et al. Development of a Cooling System for High-power Lithium-ion Batteries for HEV Application Preprints of the Spring Scientific Lecture Series of JSAE 1998
- Kitada S. et al. Development of a Parallel HEV System Incorporating a CVT 1998
- Horie H. et al. Study of a High-Power Lithium-Ion Battery for Parallel Hev Application SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1155
- Tanjo Y. et al. Abstract for the 40th Battery Forum 1999
- Horie H. et al. Development of a High-Power Lithium-ion Battery for Parallel HEVs 1999
- Ohsawa Y. et al. Abstract for the 41st Battery Forum 2000
- Origuchi M. et al. Lithium-ion Battery Application to the Tino Hybrid 2000
- Inada E. et al. Development of a High-Performance Hybrid Electric Vehicle “Tino Hybrid” 2000
- Horie H. et al. Compact Lithium-ion Battery JSAE Review 58 7 2004
- Shimamura O. et al. Development of a Compact, High-power Lithium-ion Battery System Transactions of JSAE 36 4 138 139 2004
- Horie H. et al. Development of Ultra-high Power Lithium-ion Batteries IMLB-12 (12th International Meeting of Lithium Batteries) 2004
- Shimamura O. et al. Development of a High Power Compact Lithium-ion Battery System 2005
- Shimamura O. et al. Research and Development Work on Lithium-ion Batteries for Environmental Vehicles 2006
- Abe T. et al. Research and Development Work on Lithium-ion Battery for Environmental Vehicle Autumn Scientific Lecture Series of JSAE Sept. 2006
- Abe T. et al. Simulation of a High-Power Lithium-ion Battery The 200th Meeting of The Electrochemical Society 2001
- Abe T. et al. Abstract for the 42nd Battery Forum 2001
- Saito F. et al. Verifications of the Battery Adaptation in the Market and Estimation of Battery Life for EV 2001
- Watanabe K. et al. Study of a High-Power Lithium-ion Battery The206th Meeting of The Electrochemical Society 2004