This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strain and Motion Measurement for Piston, Piston Ring and Connecting Rod of High Speed Running Engines using New Digital Telemeter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The authors have developed a measurement technique equipped with new digital telemeter for strain, motion and temperature of engine parts under high speed running operation with high accuracy. This telemeter has an original signal processing method in which the sensor outputs are directly converted to digital signals without conventional amplifiers and A/D converters. This telemeter enables multipoint measurements at high engine speed in small gasoline engines because of its compactness and lightweight. And this enables long hours of engine test without concern over battery life because of its low power consumption and self-contained power generation. We applied new developed digital telemeter to several measurements and analysis on the piston, piston ring and connecting rod.
CitationIsarai, R., Sugino, M., Moritsugu, M., Kato, N. et al., "Strain and Motion Measurement for Piston, Piston Ring and Connecting Rod of High Speed Running Engines using New Digital Telemeter," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1042, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1042.
- datatel TELEMETRY sales brochure “Telemeter System” Sankyo International Corp. 2001
- TATEYAMA Electronics Corp. sales brochure “Telemetry System” TATEYAMA Electronics Corp. 2003
- Maassen Franz et al. “Simulation and Measurement on the Cranktrain” 13. Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 333 355 2004
- Burrahmm Robert W. et al. “Development of a Piston Temperature Telemetry System” SAE Technical Paper 920232 1992
- Yamamoto Masago “Fundamentals of Engine Tribology” Engine Technology 4 6 96 101 2002
- Kageyama et al. “Development of a Prediction Method of the Piston Contact Pressure and the Stress” JSAE Proceedings No. 20035554 2003
- Kamiya et al. “Measurement of Piston Skirt Oil-film Pressure when Piston Slap Noise Occurs” Honda R&D Technical Review 19 1 149 155 2007
- Ishihara et al. “The Designs of Piston and Piston Ring to Reduce Lubricating Oil Flow into the Combustion Chamber” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3316 1999