This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined CFD-Phenomenological Approach to the Analysis of Diesel Sprays under Non-Evaporative Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present work a CFD analysis of formation and spray evolution emerging from a Multi-holes-Common Rail Diesel injector under non-evaporative conditions has been carried out. The aim of the work was to set up a tool for fuel spray simulation that could offer reasonable accuracy for the prediction of the spray tip penetration, droplet size and a reduction of CPU time. For this purpose the influence of different primary and secondary break-up models as well as drop interaction has been investigated. Phenomenological relationships have also been implemented in the code in order to enhance the prediction of the stable diameter inside the break-up models, allowing the mean drop size to be better predicted and a reduction of the time necessary to set-up the model. Different empirical relationships of the droplet drag coefficient have been tested to assess the predicted results, including modification of the standard drag correlation which leads to take into account the droplet deformation and the presence of other droplets.
The proposed model has been validated by comparing simulation results with experimental data obtained using laser sheet techniques for spray tip penetration, spray cone angle and spray shapes, and with experimental data obtained through PDPA technique for droplet sizes and velocities. Different pressure levels have been considered for the rail injection pressure (40, 80 and 180 MPa) and for the vessel backpressure (2 and 5 MPa).
Encouraging results have been obtained, in good agreement with the experimental data available.
CitationMargot, X., Payri, R., Gil, A., Chavez, M. et al., "Combined CFD-Phenomenological Approach to the Analysis of Diesel Sprays under Non-Evaporative Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0962, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0962.
- Lefebvre A.H. Atomization and Spray Taylor & Francis 1989
- Stiesch G. Modeling engine spray and combustion processes Springer 2003
- Tamaki N. Shimizu M. Nishida K. Hiroyasu H. Effects of Cavitation and Internal Flow on Atomization of a Liquid Jet Atomization and Sprays 8 179 197 1998
- Dukowicz J.K. A Particle-fluid Numerical Model for Liquid Sprays J. Comp. Physics 35 229 253 1980
- Computational Dynamics Ltd. STAR-CD Version 3.26 - Methodology 2005
- Huh K.Y. Gosman A.D. A phenomenological model of Diesel spray atomisation Proc. Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flows 1991
- Reitz R.D. Diwakar R. Effect of drop breakup on fuel sprays SAE Paper 860469 1986
- Hsiang L.P. Faeth G.M. Near-Limit Drop Deformation and Secondary Breakup Int. J. Multiphase Flow 18 635 652 1992
- O'Rourke P.J. Collective Drop Effects on Vaporising Liquid Sprays University of Princeton 1981
- Liu Z. Reitz R.D. An Analisys of the Distortion and Breakup Mechanism of High Speed Liquid Drops Int. J. Multiphase Flow 23 631 650 1997
- Grover R.O. Assanis D.N. Lippert A.M. A Comparison of Classical Atomization Models against Current Experimental Measurements within a Zero-Dimensional Framework 17 th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 2004
- Lee C.S. Park S.W. An Experimental and Numerical Study on Fuel Atomization Characteristics of High-Pressure Diesel Injection Sprays Fuel 81 2417 2423 2002
- Allocca L. Corcione F.E. Costa M. Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Multiple Injection Sprays SAE Paper 2004-01-1879 2004
- Naber J.D. Siebers D.L. Effects of Gas Density and Vapoization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays SAE Paper 960034 1996
- Morel T. Wahiduzzaman S. Modeling of Diesel Combustion and Emissions XXVI FISITA Congress Praha, Czech Repubblic 1996
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. Tabata M. Empirical Equations for the Sauter Mean Diameter of a Diesel Spray SAE Paper 890464 1989
- Elkotb M.M. Fuel Atomization for Spray Modeling Prog. Energy Combustion Sci. 8 61 91 1982
- Varde K.S. Popa D.M. Varde L.K. Spray Angle and Atomization in Diesel Sprays SAE Paper 841055 1984
- Su T.F. Farrell P.V. Nagarajan R.T. Nozzle effect on high pressure diesel injection SAE 950083 1995
- Beard P. J. Duclos J. M. Habchi C. Bruneaux G. Mokaddem K. Baritaud T. A. Extension of Lagrangian-Eulerian Spray Modeling: Application to High- Pressure Evaporating Diesel Sprays SAE Paper 2000-01-1893 2000
- Tonini S. Gavaises M. Arcoumanis C. Theodorakakos A. Prediction of Liquid and Vapor Penetration of High Pressure Diesel Sprays SAE Paper 2006-01-0242 2006
- O'Rourke P.J. Amsden A.A. The TAB Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup SAE Paper 872089 1987
- Rusche H. Issa R.I. The Effects of Voidage on the Drag Force on Particles, Droplets and Bubbles in Dispersed Two-Phase Flow Proc. 2 nd Japanese-European Two-Phase Flow Group Meeting Tsukuba, Japan 2000
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc Graw Hill 1988
- Hiroyasu H. Arai M. Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines SAE Paper 900475 1990
- Desantes J.M. Payri R. Garcia J.M. Salvador F.J. A Contribution to the Understanding of Isothermal Diesel Spray Dynamics Fuel 86 1093 1101 2007
- Pastor J.V. Arregle J. Palomares A. Diesel Spray Image Segmentation with a likelihood ratio test Applied Optics 40 2876 2885 2001
- Desantes J.M. Payri R. Salvador F.J. Soare V. Study of the Influence of Geometrical and Injection Parameters on Diesel Sprays Characteristic in Isothermal Conditions SAE Paper 2005-01-0913 2005
- Payri R. Garcia J.M. Salvador F.J. Gimeno J. Using Spray momentum Flux Measurements to Understand the Influence of Diesel Nozzle Geometry on Spray Characteristics Fuel 84 551 561 2005
- Araneo L. Tropea C. Improving Phase Doppler Measurements in a Diesel Spray SAE Paper 2000-01-2047 2000
- Araneo L. Soare V. Payri R. Shakal J. Setting up a PDPA System for Measurements in a Diesel Spray Journal of Physics: Conference Series 45 2006 85 93 Second international conference on optical and laser diagnostics (ICOLAD) 2005