This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Injection Pressure Fluctuations on Cavitation inside a Nozzle Hole at Diesel Engine Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of injection pressure fluctuations on cavitation inside a nozzle hole under diesel engine conditions was simulated using a two-fluid model. Injection pressure fluctuations with different amplitudes and frequencies were introduced at the inlet boundary. A comparison of the calculated results with experimental results available in the literatures was performed to verify the model. The simulation results indicate that both partial cavitation and supercavitation are just sensitive to the inlet pressure fluctuations with higher amplitude. As the amplitude decreases, the influence of the pressure fluctuations on cavitation process diminishes and it becomes negligible at the amplitude of around 5%. The frequency of inlet pressure fluctuation has an obvious influence on the inception of cavitation and quasi-periodic behaviors of supercavitation. Moreover, the exit flow structures corresponding to partial cavitation and supercavitation show different responses to the inlet pressure fluctuations.
CitationWang, X. and Su, W., "Influence of Injection Pressure Fluctuations on Cavitation inside a Nozzle Hole at Diesel Engine Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0935, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0935.
- Nurick, W. H., “Orifice Cavitation and its Effect on Spray Mixing,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 98, pp. 681-187, 1976.
- Chaves, H., Knapp, M., Kubitzek, A., Obermeier, F. and Schneider, T., “Experimental Study of Cavitation in the Nozzle hole of Diesel Injectors Using Transparent Nozzles,” SAE Paper 950290, 1995.
- He, L. and Ruiz, F., “Effects of Cavitation on Flow and Turbulence in Plain Orifices for High-Speed Atomization,” Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 5(6), pp. 569-584, 1995.
- Soteriou, C., Andrews, R., and Smith, H., “Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effect of Cavitation and Hydraulic Flip on Atomization,” SAE Paper 950080, 1995.
- Tamaki, N., Shimizu, M., and Hiroyasu, H., “Enhancement of the Atomization of a Liquid Jet by Cavitation in a Nozzle Hole,” Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 11(2), pp. 125-137, 2001.
- Arcoumanis, C., Flora, H., Gavaises, M., Badami, M., “Cavitation in Real-Size Multi-Hole Diesel Injector 2000. Nozzles,” SAE Paper 2000-01-1249,
- Schmidt, D. P., Rutland, C. J., Corradini, M. L., “A Numerical Study of Cavitating Flow Through Various Nozzle Shapes,” SAE Paper 971597, 1997.
- Schmidt, D. P., Rutland, C. J., Corradini, M. L., Roosen, P., Genge, O., “Cavitation in Two-Dimensional Asymmetric Nozzles,” SAE Paper 1999-01-0518, 1999.
- Marcer, R., Le Cottier, P., Chaves, H., Argueyrolles, B., Habchi, C., Barbeau, B., “A Validated Numerical Simulation of Diesel Injector Flow Using a VOF Method,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2932, 2000.
- Qin, J. R., John Yu, S. T., Zhang, Z. C., and Lai, M. C., “Transient Cavitating Flow Simulations Inside a 2-D VCO Nozzle Using the Space-Time CE/SE Method,” SAE Paper 2001-01-1983, 2001.
- Jia, M., Hou, D., Li, J., Xie, M., and Liu, H., “A Micro-Variable Circular Orifice Fuel Injector for HCCI-Conventional Engine Combustion-Part I Numerical Simulation of Cavitation,” SAE Paper 2007-01-0249, 2007.
- Chiavola, O., and Palmieri, F., “Modeling Needle Motion Influence on Nozzle Flow in High Pressure Injection System,” SAE Paper 2007-01-0250, 2007.
- Giannadakis, E., Papoulias, D., Gavaises, M., Arcoumanis, C., Soteriou, C., and Tang, W., “Evaluation of the Predictive Capability of Diesel Nozzle Cavitation Models,” SAE Paper 2007-01-0245, 2007.
- Chaves, H., Obermeier, F., “Modeling the Effect of Modulations of the Injection Velocity on the Structure of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Paper 961126, 1996.
- Ramamurthi, K., and Patnaik, S. R., “Influence of Periodic Disturbances on Inception of Cavitation in Sharp-Edged Orifices,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 33, pp. 720-727, 2002.
- Yuan, W., and Schnerr, G. H., “Cavitation in Injection Nozzles - Effect of Injection Pressure Fluctuations,” In Proc. of 4th Int. Symposium on Cavitation, Pasadena, CA, 2001.
- Alajbegovic, A., Grogger, H., and Philipp, H., “Calculation of the Transient Cavitation in Nozzle Using the Two-Fluid Model,” In Proc. of 12th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Sprays Systems, ILASS-Americas, Indianapolis, IN, USA, 1999.
- v. Berg, E., Edelbauer, W., Alajbegovic, A., Tatschl, R., Volmajer, M., Kegl, B., and Ganippa, L. C., “Coupled Simulations of Nozzle Flow, Primary Fuel Jet Breakup, and Spray Formation,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 127, pp. 897-908, 2005.
- Fujimoto, H., Mishikori, T., Tsumakoto, T., and Senda, J., “Modeling of Atomization and Vaporization Process in Flash Boiling Spray,” ICLASS-94, Paper VI-13, 1994.
- Hinze, J.Q., “Turbulence”, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1975.
- Sato, Y., and Sekaguchi, K., “Liquid Velocity Distribution in Two-Phase Bubble Flow,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 2, pp.79-95, 1975.
- Theofanous, T.G., and Sullivan, J., “Turbulence in Two-Phase Dispersed Flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 116, PP. 343-362, 1982.
- Ishii, M., and Mishima, K., “Two-Fluid and Hydrodynamic Constitutive Relations,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 82(2-3), pp. 107-126, 1984.
- Lee, S.L., Lahey, R.T., and Jones, O.C. Jr, “The Prediction of Two-Phase Turbulence and Phase Distribution Using a k-ε Model,” Jpn. J. Multiphase Flow Vol. 3(4), pp. 335-368, 1989.
- Nurick, W.H., “Orifice Cavitation and Its Effects on Spray Mixing,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol.98, pp.681-687, 1976.
- Lichtarowicz, A.K., Duggins, R.K., and Markland, E., “Discharge Coefficients for Imcompressible Non-cavitating Flow Through Long Orifices,” J. Mech. Engng. Sci., Vol. 7(2), pp.210-219, 1965.
- Soteriou, C., Smith, M., and Andrews, R., “Direct Injection Diesel Sprays and the Effects of Cavitation and hydraulic Flip on Atomization,” SAE Paper 950080, 1995.
- Payri, F., Bermudez, V., Payri, R., and Salvador, F.J., “The Influence of Cavitation on the Internal Flow and the Spray Characteristics in Diesel Injection Nozzles,” Fuel, Vol. 83(4), pp. 419-431, 2004.