This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Fuzzy Distributed Control Algorithm for Intelligent Ground Speed Control of an Automotive Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the development of a Distributed Intelligent Ground Speed Control System, similar to a cruise control system, based on Fuzzy Logic. Fuzzy sets have been developed to input speed error, acceleration and the absolute speed error in order to arrive at a defuzzified output for the impeller clutch control, brake control and the control law selection. A PI controller and a Sliding Mode controller are utilized based on the magnitude of the Absolute Speed Error. A road model is introduced with erratic set speed profiles, which is introduced to replicate a similar situation for a Stop & Go procedure. The system is simulated in a MATLAB/SIMULINK environment and the results indicate smooth and cooperative switching between the controllers stimulated by the Fuzzy Logic Controller.
CitationReyhart, D. and Anwar, S., "A Fuzzy Distributed Control Algorithm for Intelligent Ground Speed Control of an Automotive Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0902, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0902.
- Shaout, A.K. Jarrah, M.A. “Cruise Control Technology Review” Computers and Electrical Engineering 23 4 July 1997 259 271
- Naranjo, J.E. González. C. Reviejo, J. García, R. De Pedro, T. “ACC + Stop and Go Maneuvers With Throttle and Brake Fuzzy Control” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 7 2 June 2006 213 224
- Demott, D.A. Anwar, S. “A Hybrid Approach to Ground Speed Control of Large Wheel Loaders with Engine at Full Throttle” Proceedings of the 48 th SAE Earthmoving Industry Conference and Exposition Peoria, Illinois April 9-10 1997
- Kim, K.I. Oh, S.Y. Kim, S.W. Jeong, H. Lee, C.N. Kim, B.S. Kim, C.S. “An Autonomous Land Vehicle PRV III” Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 1996 159 164
- Han, C. Sul, J. Kim, S. Lim, Y. Lee, J. “Development of Intelligent Cruise Control System” 1999 IEEE International Fuzzy Systems Conference Proceedings Seoul, Korea August 22-25 1999
- Naranjo, J.E. Gonzalez, C. Garcia, R. De Pedro, T. Sotelo, M.A. “Using Fuzzy Logic in Automated Vehicle Control” IEEE Intelligent Systems 22 1 January February 2007 36 45
- Anwar, S. “Sliding Mode Control of Large Wheel Loader Powertrain for Full Throttle Directional Shifts” Proceedings of the SAE Earthmoving Industry Conference and Exposition Peoria, Illinois April 8-9 1998
- Anwar, S. “Anti-lock braking control of a hybrid brake-by-wire system” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 220 8 2006 1101 1117
- Zhang, Y. Kosmatopoulos, E.B. Ioannou, P.A. Chien, C.C. “Autonomous intelligent cruise control using front and back information for tight vehicle following maneuvers” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 48 1 Jan 1999 319 328
- Rajamani, R. Zhu, C. “Semi-autonomous adaptive cruise control systems” I EEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 51 5 September 2002 1186 1192
- Young, K.D. Utkin, V.I. Ozguner, U. “Control engineer's guide to sliding mode control” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 7 3 1999 328 342