This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of the Underbody Pressure Distribution of a Series Vehicle on the Road and in the Wind Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Underbody aerodynamics has become increasingly important over the last three decades because of its vital contribution to improving a vehicle's overall performance. This was the motivation for the research conducted by BMW Aerodynamics, concerning the determination of the overall pressure distribution on the underbody of a series-production vehicle.
Static pressure measurements have been taken under various test conditions. Real on-road tests were carried out as well as wind tunnel experiments under application of different road simulation techniques. The analyzed vehicle configurations include wheel rim-tire and body modifications.
The results presented include surface pressure data, drag and lift coefficients, ride heights, pitch and roll angles. The acquired data is used to examine the underbody flow topology and determine how the diverse attempts to represent the real on-road conditions affect its pressure distribution.
|Uncertainty Analysis of Aerodynamic Coefficients in an Automotive Wind Tunnel
|Influence of Open-Jet Effects on Vehicle Wind Tunnel Measurements
|Ground Vehicle Standard
|AERODYNAMIC TESTING OF ROAD VEHICLES - OPEN THROAT WIND TUNNEL ADJUSTMENT
CitationSapnaras, D. and Dimitriou, I., "Experimental Analysis of the Underbody Pressure Distribution of a Series Vehicle on the Road and in the Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0802, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0802.
- Hucho W.H. “Aerodynamik des Automobils”; 113 1994
- Estrada G. Wiedemann J. Widdecke N. “The vehicle as an aerodynamic sensor in the wind tunnel and on the road” ; 7 th International Stuttgart Symposium: Automotive and Engine Technology March 2007
- Schrefl M. Mayer J. Tropea C. “On the Set-Up of a Surface Pressure Measurement System for On-Road Tests and Preliminary Results Concerning Highway-Passing Manoeuvres” ; MIRA Conference 2006
- Lawson A.A. Dominy R.G. Sheppard A. “A Comparison of On-Track and Wind Tunnel Surface Pressure Measurements on a Compact SUV” ; SAE 2003, Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars Mechanical Systems 112 6 758 767
- Nijhof B. Wickern G. “Reference Static and Dynamic Pressure in Automotive Wind Tunnels” ; SAE 2003-01-0428
- Wickern G. Zwicker K. Pfadenhauer M. “Rotating Wheels - Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and on the Vehicle Drag Results” ; SAE 970133 1997
- Mercker E. Breuer N. Berneburg H. Emmelmann H.J. “On the Aerodynamic Interference Due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars” ; SAE 910311 1991
- Dimitriou I. Klussmann S. “Aerodynamic Forces of Exposed and Enclosed Wheels as an Example of the Synergy in the Development of Racing and Passenger Cars” ; SAE 2006-01-0805 2006
- Riederer S. “Strömungsphänomene im Bereich der Vorderen Radhäuser von Personalfahrzeugen” PhD Thesis 2004