This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Migration of Legacy Functions and Algorithms to Model Based Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive companies have invested a fortune over the last three decades developing real-time embedded control strategies and software to achieve desired functions and performance attributes. Over time, these control algorithms have matured and achieved optimum behavior. The companies have vast repositories of embedded software for a variety of control features that have been validated and deployed for production. These software functions can be reused with minimal modifications for future applications.
The companies are also constantly looking for new ways to improve the productivity of the development process that may translate into lower development costs, higher quality and faster time-to-market. All companies are currently embracing Model Based Design (MBD) tools to help achieve the gains in productivity. The most cost effective approach would be to reuse the available legacy software for carry-over features while developing new features with the new MBD tools.
Ford Motor Company has successfully integrated the legacy Escape Hybrid control strategies into a model. The new model is now being used for development of the next generation of hybrid vehicle controls. This migration process was time consuming and resource intensive. Using the lessons learned from the mainly manual process, the conversion process has been optimized to dramatically speed up the integration of legacy software to support the migration of other legacy projects to MBD. This paper presents the process, the tools and the results of these efforts.
|Technical Paper||Large-Scale Modeling for Embedded Applications|
|Journal Article||Requirement Analysis and Development using MATLAB Models|
|Technical Paper||Prototyping and Simulation as a Means of Software Verification|
CitationSyed, F., Nallapa, R., Jiang, F., and Semenov, S., "Automated Migration of Legacy Functions and Algorithms to Model Based Design," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0747, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0747.
- Syed Fazal Nallapa Raju Grand Kerry Ramaswamy Deepa “Integrated Modeling Environment for Detailed Algorithm Design, Simulation and Code Generation” SAE paper 2007-01-0274
- Syed Fazal Czubay John “Improving the Efficiency of Production Level Algorithm Development for an SUV HEV Powertrain” SAE paper 2004-01-3039
- Ye Jian Stuart Walt Hodge Grantley “The Role of a Data Dictionary in Model-based Embedded Software Development” SAE paper 2005-01-315
- Wartnaby C. E. Bennett S. M. Ellims M. Raju R. R. Mohammed M. S. Patel B. Jones S. C. “Auto-Generated Production Code Development for Ford/Think Fuel Cell Vehicle Programme” SAE paper 2003-01-0863
- Bishop Andrew M. “The Cxref Homepage, C Cross Referencing & Documenting tool” http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/cxref/