This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Design of a SUV Anti-rollover Control System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This article presents a methodology to apply Model-Based Design to develop and automatically optimize vehicle stability control systems. Such systems are employed to improve the dynamic rollover stability of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs). A non-linear vehicle model, representative of a midsize SUV, was built in CarSim®. This vehicle model is used in Simulink® to design a control system that reduces the risk of rollover. Optimization methods are then used to automatically adjust controller parameters to meet the system specifications that ensure the stability of the vehicle. Cosimulation between the two software packages enables rapid design and verification of control algorithms in a virtual environment. The results of the simulation experiments can be visualized through a 3-D animation of vehicle motion. The control system is adapted for the specific vehicle model, enabling it to remain stable under standard test conditions. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations' (NHTSA) fishhook maneuver was used to estimate dynamic rollover stability of the vehicle and benchmark the performance of the SUV both with and without the optimized controller.
CitationCherian, V., Shenoy, R., Stothert, A., Shriver, J. et al., "Model-Based Design of a SUV Anti-rollover Control System," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0579, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0579.
Vehicle Dynamics and Simulation and Tire and Wheel Technology, 2008
Number: SP-2157 ; Published: 2008-04-14
Number: SP-2157 ; Published: 2008-04-14
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Consumer Information - NHTSA-2001-9663: (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/RollFinal/index.html).
- Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, Gillespie Thomas D., SAE International (March 1992).
- Matsumoto, S., Yamaguchi, H., Inoue, H., Yasuno, Y. “Improvement of Vehicle Dynamics Through Braking Force Distribution Control”, SAE paper #920645, SAE Congress and Exposition.
- Wielenga, T.J. “A Method for Reducing On-Road Rollovers - Anti-Rollover Braking”, SAE Paper #1999-01-0123, SAE Congress and Exposition.
- Zanten, A.V., Erhardt, R., Pfaff, G. “VDC, The Vehicle Dynamics Control System of Bosch”, SAE paper #950759, SAE Congress and Exposition.
- Chen, B. Peng, H. “Differential-braking-based rollover prevention for sport utility vehicles with human-in-the-loop evaluations”, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol.36, No.4-5, pp.359-389 (2001).
- Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA-2007-27662, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (http://www.safercar.gov/esc/Rule.pdf).
- Ungoren, A.Y., Peng, H., “Evaluation of Vehicle Dynamics Control for Rollover Prevention.”, International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol.5, No.2, pp.115-122 (2004).
- Garrick, J. et al. “A Comprehensive Experimental Examination of Test Maneuvers That May Induce On-Road, Untripped, Light Vehicle Rollover-Phase IV of NHTSA's Light Vehicle Rollover Research Program”, DOT HS 809 513.
- Torczon, Virginia, “On the Convergence of Pattern Search Algorithms”, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Volume 7, Number 1, pp. 1-25 (1997).
- Audet, Charles and Dennis J. E. Jr., “Analysis of Generalized Pattern Searches”, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Volume 13, Number 3, pp. 889-903 (2003).
- Conn A. R., Gould N. I. M., and Toint Ph. L.. “A Globally Convergent Augmented Lagrangian Pattern Search Algorithm for Optimization with General Constraints and Simple Bounds”, Mathematics of Computation, Volume 66, Number 217, pp. 261-288 (1997).
- The MathWorks - Model-Based Design: (www.mathworks.com/mbd/).
- The MathWorks - Control Design: (www.mathworks.com/applications/controldesign/description).
- The MathWorks Inc., “Using MATLAB®,” Version 7.5, The MathWorks Inc., Natick, MA (September, 2007).
- The MathWorks Inc., “Using Simulink®,” Version 7.0, The MathWorks Inc., Natick, MA (September, 2007).
- The MathWorks Inc., “Stateflow® User's Guide,” Version 6.5, The MathWorks Inc., Natick, MA, (September 2007).
- CarSim User manual. (http://www.carsim.com/), Mechanical Simulation Corp (2003).