This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Neck Bracket Angles and Neck Torque Procedures in the Hybrid III Small Female Neck Flexion Test
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lab-to-lab differences are an important consideration in the verification testing of Hybrid III dummy necks in user labs. The authors, the Anthropomorphic test device Certification Research group (ACR), conducted and presented two previous studies investigating lab to lab differences in Hybrid III 5th female dummy neck certification results [1, 2]. The results of both studies underscored the need to have better controls on the test procedure.
The complex procedure for dummy neck certification has many setup factors that can contribute to test variation and unacceptable precision. Two steps within this protocol - two aspects of the neck's physical setup - were identified by the ACR group as potential sources for variation: 1) setting the pre-test D-plane angle by neck bracket adjustment, and 2) setting the torque on the neck cable.
Fifth female neck flexion tests were conducted with variations in these factors to determine their effect on neck test results. In this paper the authors quantify the results of this investigation and discuss recommendations for reduction of lab-to-lab variation.
CitationBelow, J., Depinet, P., Jenkins, J., Al-Tabakha, E. et al., "Evaluation of Neck Bracket Angles and Neck Torque Procedures in the Hybrid III Small Female Neck Flexion Test," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0530, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0530.
- Watters, V.L. Jenkins, J.D. Below, J.D. Depinet, P.J. “Hybrid III 5 th Female Neck Test Rotation Measurement” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0303 2005
- Below, J.D. Depinet, P.J. Jenkins, J.D. Watters, V.L. “Determining the Precision of the Hybrid III Small Female Neck Calibration Laboratory Test Procedure Using ASTM E 691,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1172 2007
- Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations Part 572, subpart O (Part 572-O)-Hybrid III 5 th Percentile Female Test Dummy
- Society of Automotive Engineers Dummy Testing Equipment Subcommittee SAE Engineering Aid 25 “User's Manual for the Small Adult Female Hybrid III Test Dummy” May 1998
- Alderson, S.W. Rezko, J.D. Stobbe, J.D. Wright, S.G. “Hybrid III Testing: Problems and Solutions” SAE Technical Paper 860202 1986
- “The Black Belt Memory Jogger” Goal/QPC 1-57681-043-7 2002
- SAE Hybrid III Dummy Neck Round-Robin Task Group “Hybrid III Dummy Neck Round-Robin Testing” SAE 971043 1997