This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Application of Optimization Techniques to Design a Foam Pad to Reduce Lower-Extremity Injuries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present study had two aims: (1) to develop a model which reproduced the dummy lower leg kinematics observed in a high-speed test, and (2) to develop a methodology to assess various theoretical design parameters of a heel foam pad to reduce the risk of the lower extremity injuries.
To address the first aim, a MADYMO sled simulation model was developed. The interior parts were represented mainly with finite element (FE) models, with intent to capture deformations and the reaction force directions. Moreover, the occupant responses were estimated from the refined version of the dummy model (i.e., the Hybrid III model; Q dummy model). The model was acceptably correlated to experiments. To address the second aim, the model was simplified for subsequent optimization of the heel foam pad. A genetic algorithm (GA) was used to optimize design parameters of the heel foam pad to reduce the tibia axial loads in the high-speed test (i.e., 64 km/h offset deformable barrier without dashboard intrusion and vehicle pitching).
CitationMiyahara, R., Miyajima, Y., and Ogawa, S., "The Application of Optimization Techniques to Design a Foam Pad to Reduce Lower-Extremity Injuries," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0523, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0523.
- Begeman, P. Prasad, P. “Human Ankle Impact Response in Dorsiflexion” Proc. 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 902308 1990
- Yoganandan, N. Pintar, F. Boynton, M. Begeman, P. Prasad, P. Kuppa, S. Morgan, R. Eppinger, R “Dynamic Axial Tolerance of the Human Foot-Ankel Complex” Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 962426 1996
- Kuppa Shashi Wang Jing Haffner Mark Eppinger Rolf “Lower Extremity Injuries and Associated Inury Criteria” 17th ESV paper No. 457 2001
- Laituri Tony R. Henry Scott Sullivan Kaye Prasad Priya “Lower-Body Injury Rates in Full-Engagement Frontal Impacts: Field Data and Logistic Models” SAE 2006-01-1666 2006
- Ore Lisa Shoaf Tanner Brian States John D. “Accident Investigation and Impairment Study of Lower Extremity Injury” SAE 930096 1993
- Crandall Jeff.R Klisch Stephan M. Klopp Gregory S. Sieveka Edwin Pilkey Walter D. Martin Peter “Research Program to Investigate Lower Extremity Injuries”, SAE 940711 1994
- Hall G.W. Crandall J.R. Pilkey W.D. Thunnissen J.G. “Development of a Dynamic Multibody Model to Analyze Human Lower Extremity Impact Response and Injury” International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact 1998
- Kitagawa, Y. Ichikawa, H. Chinmoy P. King, A. Levine, R. “Lower Leg Injuries Caused By Dynamic Axial Loading and Muscle Testing” proc. 16th ESV conference, 98-S7-O-09 1998
- Kippelt Ulrich Buss Winfried Fledhoff Uwe Thelen Martin “Protection Devices and Development Tools for Reducing Foot and Leg Injuries in Frontal Crashes” International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact 1998
- MADYMO Model Manual version 6.4 2007
- Gehre Christian “Evaluation of the MADYMO Quality Dummy Model” Proceedings of MADYMO International Users' Meeting 2006
- Ogawa Shigeru Motoki Masaki Ito Noriaki “A Test Methodology of Side Impact Simulation with Hydraulically Powered Crash Simulator” FISITA F2004F187 2004
- Kaneko Naoki Taguchi Seigo Motoki Masaki Ogawa Shigeru “Optimization of the Side Airbag System Using Madymo Simulation” SAE 2007-01-0345 2007