This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An External Explosive Airbag Model for an Innovative Inflatable Bumper (I-bumper) Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the I-bumper (inflatable bumper) concept , two explosive airbags are released just before the main body-to-body crash in order to absorb the kinetic energy of colliding vehicles. The release also actuates other components in the I-bumper, including a movable bumper and an energy absorption morphing lattice structure. A small explosive charge will be used to deploy the airbag. A conventional airbag model will be used to reduce the crash energy in a controlled manner and reduce the peak impact force. An analytic model of the explosive airbag is developed in this paper for the I-bumper system and for its optimal design, while the complete system design (I-bumper) will be discussed in a separate paper.
Analytical formulations for an explosive airbag will be developed and major design variables will be identified. These are used to determine the required amount of explosive and predict airbag behavior, as well to predict their impact on the I-bumper system. Related design guidelines and procedures will also be introduced. This new explosive airbag model will be implemented in Matlab, and will be validated with a high fidelity model using an LS-DYNA simulation.
CitationLee, D., Ma, Z., and Kikuchi, N., "An External Explosive Airbag Model for an Innovative Inflatable Bumper (I-bumper) Concept," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0508, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0508.
- Kikuchi, N. “Creative Approaches to Vehicle Safety,” Mechanical Engineering 2005-2006 Annual Report University of Michigan Ann Arbor 2007
- Kim, H.S. Wierzbicki, T. “Effect of The Cross-Sectional Shape on Crash Behaviour of a Three Dimensional Space Frame,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 25 4 295 316 2001
- Han, J. Yamazaki, K. “Crashworthiness Optimization of S-Shape Square Tubes,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 31 1 72 85 2003
- Suh, M.W. Lee, J.H. Cho, K.Y. et al “Section Property Method and Section Shape Method for The Optimum Design of Vehicle Body Structures,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 30 1-2 115 134 2002
- Avalle, M. Chiandussi, G. Belingardi, G. “Design Optimization by Response Surface Methodology: Application to Crashworthiness Design of Vehicle Structures,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 24 4 325 332 2002
- Alghamdi, A. “Collapsible Impact Energy Absorbers: an Overview,” Thin-Walled Structures 39 2 189 213 2001
- Yasui, Y. “Dynamic Axial Crushing of Multi-Layer Honeycomb Panels and Impact Tensile Behavior of The Component Members,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 24 6-7 659 671 2000
- Aktay, L. Johnson, A.F. Holzapfel, M. “Prediction of Impact Damage on Sandwich Composite Panels,” Computational Materials Science 32 3-4 252 260 2005
- Deb, A. Mahendrakumar, M.S. Chavan, C. et al. “Design of an Aluminium-Based Vehicle Platform for Front Impact Safety,” International Journal of Impact Engineering 30 8-9 1055 1079 2004
- Clark, C.C. Young, W.A. “Car Crash Theory and Tests of Airbag Bumper System,” SAE Technical Paper Number 951056
- Pipkorn, B. Fredriksson, R. Olsson, J. “Bumper Bag for SUV to Passenger Vehicle Compatibility and Pedestrian Protection,” International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Paper Number 07-0056 2007
- Kamal, M.M. “Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle to Barrier Impact,” SAE Technical Paper Number 700414
- Mooi, H.G. Huibers, J.H.A.M. “Simple and Effective Lumped Mass Models for Determining Kinetics and Dynamics of Car-to-Car Crashes,” IJCRASH '98, Conference Proceedings Dearborn, Michigan September 9 11 1998
- Lin, K.H. Kamal, M.M. Justusson, J.W. “Effect of Vehicle Mix on Two-Car Head-On Impact,” SAE Technical Paper Number 750117
- Greene, J.E. “Computer Simulation of Car-to-Car Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper Number 770015
- Presthus, M. “Derivation of Air Spring Model Parameters for Train Simulation,” Lulea University of Technology Sweden 2002
- White, F.M. “Fluid Mechanics,” McGraw-Hill 307 311 1994
- Wang, J.T. Nefske, D.J. “A New CAL3D Airbag Inflation Model,” SAE Technical Paper Number 880654
- Beer, F.P. Dewolf, J.T Johnston, E.R. “Mechanics of Materials,” McGraw-Hill 464 2002
- Nefske, D.J. “A Basic Airbag Model,” SAE Technical Paper Number 720426
- Jones, G.E. Kennedy, J.E. Bertholf, L.D. “Ballistics Calculations of R. W. Gurney,” American Journal of Physics 48 4 1980
- Zukas, J.A. Walters, W.P. “Explosive Effects and Applications,” Springer 1998 224 254
- Kinney, G.F. Graham, K.J. “Explosive Shocks in Air,” Springer 1985
- Kennedy, J.E. Cherry, C.R. Warnes, R.H. Fischer, S.H. “Momentum Transfer in Indirect Explosive Drive,” International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Fort Collins, CO (United States) 15-19 Jul 1996
- Paz, Mario “Structural Dynamics: Theory and Computation Fourth Edition,” Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997